Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to install the Triumph dresser bars for my 2019 Scrambler 1200 XC and I don’t know what socket or wrench I need to remove the engine frame bolts to attach the bars to. I called the parts dept at my Triumph dealer and they said I have to ask Service which means I’ll be charged an hour to have 2 bolts removed and put back on. Does anyone know what tool I need to remove these bolts and where I can buy it?
The bolt I’m referring to is just below the left hand exhaust and has a star pattern in the pic I attached. TYA
71CE8C72-0E8F-457D-8A1F-63C84FEBDED0.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need a T55 Torx socket. You can buy them at auto parts stores, Harbor Freight, or even Home Depot/Lowes.

There's also a nut on the backside that you need to hold with a wrench (16mm or 17mm IIRC), so you might need to remove the header pipe for access.
Thank you! I’ll go pick up a set today

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just did this, so I thought I'd chime in. Yeah, it's MUCH easier, if you take off the L side header. If you bought the kit from triumph, it comes w/ the single-use washer to replace under the header. The only thing I found annoying was that taking off the O2 sensor really twists the wire a ton, which I wasn't a huge fan of. Otherwise, it's a fairly simple install. I found the Torx bolts to be tighter than the factory spec in the book (105Nm, approximately 77-78 lb-ft), and needed a fair amount of elbow grease to get off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did this, so I thought I'd chime in. Yeah, it's MUCH easier, if you take off the L side header. If you bought the kit from triumph, it comes w/ the single-use washer to replace under the header. The only thing I found annoying was that taking off the O2 sensor really twists the wire a ton, which I wasn't a huge fan of. Otherwise, it's a fairly simple install. I found the Torx bolts to be tighter than the factory spec in the book (105Nm, approximately 77-78 lb-ft), and needed a fair amount of elbow grease to get off.
I felt the same about the O2 sensor too! For the Torx bolts I used a breaker bar and they came off no problem. Did your service light come on after install? Mine did and went away after a day of riding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine did not at all actually. I left the bike completely off and w/ ignition off (the weird little master switch that pretends to look like a petcock) and did not turn it on again until it was fully reassembled, not sure if you did the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine did not at all actually. I left the bike completely off and w/ ignition off (the weird little master switch that pretends to look like a petcock) and did not turn it on again until it was fully reassembled, not sure if you did the same.
I did the same and removed the negative battery lead as the instructions said. I think it might have been the O2 sensor adjusting to being removed and reinstalled

·
Registered
56 Posts
To follow up. I installed heated grips just now and the only thing I did in addition was disconnect the battery which I hadn't done previously for the dresser bar. I think the disconnect causes the fault to show up which self clears as you ride.

·
Registered
triumph scrambler 900 efi 2015
16 Posts
fitted mine last night ..no need to remove exhaust..remove skid pan take a 17 m ring spanner and with a hammer kink it by around 10 deg ..(a offset spanner will not be able to go onto the right hand nut)..then get a 17m offset ring spanner and a 55 torx socket 14cm 10cm of this being the torx..wriggle the 17m bent socket onto the right hand side (sitting on the bike)upper engine lock nut and use the 14cm torx socket to undo using a braker bar or long torque bar......the left side put the offset ring spanner on the lock nut and remove with the torx and bar....nip up with new nuts to 105nm as per instructions Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 16.43.39.jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 16.45.34.jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 16.45.50.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts