Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Scrambler 1200 exhaust heat and solutions?

61K views 140 replies 34 participants last post by  bobbo 
#1 ·
I am still looking at the Scrambler 1200 XC and test rode it again, but even on a short ride the heat from the exhaust was very noticeable to uncomfortable even with jeans.

I wonder if anyone has modified their exhaust heatshields (de-catting is not an option here, sadly.. or maybe not sadly, I am usually in favour of not removing 'green' features when not necessary)...

Anyway, would it be possible to
a) remove the heatshield and add some aerogel insulation on the inside?
There are apparently aerogels that are both gluable and water/weatherproof?
b) do the same but without glue (wedge aerogels between the exhaust and another layer or metal

c) add an extra heatshield at the points where the rider's and piliion's legs would be (again with aerogel or such)
to clamp onto the existing heatshield from the outside?

What would any drawbacks of this be (other than looks)?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've organised for Meerkat Mufflers to do a de-cat. I care for the environment as much as anyone, but I know how much less heat my Thruxton generates after a de-cat. I guess my perspective is different living in wide open spaces with absolutely zero air quality issues.

The Scrambler will be an issue with any sort of extra insulation - as Peter said to me, the catalytic converter has to glow red hot to do its job, and that heat source right beside the rider's knee is always going to be a problem...
Just think about how much less fuel you'll use without that incredible restriction ;>)

#3 ·
I guess my perspective is different living in wide open spaces with absolutely zero air quality issues.
Just to be clear, the particulates that aren’t being captured by a cat (because it was removed) are still going into the air. And air is really a global quality. What goes into the air in LA... eventually makes its way to the Midwest (and beyond). So making sure all exhausts are as clean as can be helps everyone, regardless of where you live.

A great example of this is on the documentary One Strange Rock. It shows how the windstorms in the Sahara Desert make their way all the way to the Amazon rainforests and are much of the rain forests fertilizer!

The Earth and its connectedness is amassing and beautiful!

#4 ·
I remember seeing a youtube video of someone putting just basic heat reflective shielding on the inside of the heat shield. This would A) reflect heat back to the cat and thus make it more efficient in doing its job (I didn't know they need to be red hot) and B) diffuse more heat through the back of the heat shield. The downside here is that you're reflecting heat back at your motor... so I'm unsure what that would do to it. Maybe others can chime in?

#5 ·
I was thinking about this the other day. It actually doesn't bother me a ton, unless I'm kinda waddling the bike backward into/out of a parking spot, as I usually leave my right foot on the peg. Only time it really gets me is having my right leg down on a hot day and not wearing overpants.

I think the best bet would be to add an additional thin layer of insulation and heat shielding on the inside of the factory heat shields. Probably a ceramic header coating could work too I think, to keep some more heat in the pipes. I am not sure how many other solutions there are. Obvious one being to move your leg, but I know different peoples' legs are near different parts of the exhaust. I am not sure if you could get aerogel in a piece to conform to the exhaust. From what I've seen, they seem to be little brittle rectangular pieces right?

#6 ·
#8 ·
@sejtam
Agree with you mate, i'm also not one for de-catting the pipes. I'm taking delivery of my 1200 XC on the 28th of this month. Admittedly, there's a R-E-A-L issue with heat from the pipes, especially where I live now...in Bangalore, India. Took it for a test-spin and came back with the inside of my right-leg nearly COOKED!! Runs SUPER-hot with the Cat. Was ALMOST a deal-breaker for me. So I was thinking of wrapping the pipes with a Heat wrap from JUST after the Cat, under the heat-shields . Any thoughts?

#9 ·
@sejtam

Agree with you mate, i'm also not one for de-catting the pipes. I'm taking delivery of my 1200 XC on the 28th of this month. Admittedly, there's a R-E-A-L issue with heat from the pipes, especially where I live now...in Bangalore, India. Took it for a test-spin and came back with the inside of my right-leg nearly COOKED!! Runs SUPER-hot with the Cat. Was ALMOST a deal-breaker for me. So I was thinking of wrapping the pipes with a Heat wrap from JUST after the Cat, under the heat-shields . Any thoughts?
I was thinking of trying something like this:

Just not sure about glue and whether tbe heat might destroy the aerogel's water phobic properties. The product description said 3 it loses that at 350degC

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I am still looking at the Scrambler 1200 XC and test rode it again, but even on a short ride the heat from the exhaust was very noticeable to uncomfortable even with jeans.

I wonder if anyone has modified their exhaust heatshields (de-catting is not an option here, sadly.. or maybe not sadly, I am usually in favour of not removing 'green' features when not necessary)...

Anyway, would it be possible to
a) remove the heatshield and add some aerogel insulation on the inside?
There are apparently aerogels that are both gluable and water/weatherproof?
b) do the same but without glue (wedge aerogels between the exhaust and another layer or metal

c) add an extra heatshield at the points where the rider's and piliion's legs would be (again with aerogel or such)
to clamp onto the existing heatshield from the outside?

What would any drawbacks of this be (other than looks)?
Hi ,
I believe that soon Euro-6 and BS-6 fuel for petrol will role out where sulphur content is reduced and use this will be win win for both Euro-4,BS-4 and older engines. Hence I feel if you De-Cat your bike it is fine ... the problem is in the fuel if you understand what I mean, cheers guys I own a scrambler 900cc.

#13 ·
Digging up an old thread here, but I did a testdrive with the XE today, with intent to buy one. However, after a 1.5hr drive in hot weather, wearing jeans, I've found the heat to be a deal breaker. I was so annoyed with the heat and having to constantly move my right leg that I didn't enjoy the ride at all. Returned the bike utterly disappointed.
Are there any not overly expensive options by now?

#14 ·
I find it OK while I'm riding, it's just when I stop that it becomes a pain. Sometimes literally. I tried applying some self-adhesive heat shielding on the back side of the heat shields last week. It works fine apart from the one over the cat. No difference whatsoever. I might try wrapping the cat in pipe wrap, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to fork out for a low pipe for the summer months.

#16 ·
Hi Just joined the forum and spotted this thread.
I own a 1200XE and can say - with certainty, there is a serious heat issue.
Maybe the severity of it depends on your height/ inside leg measurement?
I’m 6’ 4” and with a 35/36 inch inside leg.
Have been mostly riding wearing Triumph bike jeans and low adventure boots. Sometimes wear a thicker Triumph, textile trouser.
Have found the heat a real issue and not just in town.
It can be pretty uncomfortable.
The solution is probably to fit a decat pipe. But with the bike under warranty - you get unlucky. If this was spotted by the dealer.
I’m not here to rock the boat, nor detract from an otherwise great bike.

#19 ·
I hear people have had luck by applying a heat reflective layer on the inside of the heat guard. I'd imagine they mean like a heat reflective mylar or tape. This should reflect the heat away from your leg. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it warming up the seat, so there's probably plenty of airflow (even in the city) to disperse it. I'd imagine the real issue is how close the heat shield is to the exhaust system, so the shield itself is actually retaining too much heat.

Another solution might be just applying 1-2cm spacer to the heat shield so there's a bit more air gap between the cat the shield.

Finally, I haven't done any of this as I have the 900cc Street Scrambler, and as @WIDGIN2 mentioned above, the heat really isn't an issue; even when it's 35C.

#22 ·
Spacing off the existing heat shield is a good idea but I would try to fit some of this heat insulation in between, same stuff they used to use on the under seat exhaust Daytona's, and if possible space the insulation off from the heat shield, far more effective than just applying foil tape but obviously all this will move the heat shield out nearer your leg.

#24 ·
I've never ridden a scrambler so I can't comment but if it's as bad as people say they should be doing something to improve the situation.
Maybe it was decided to go with form over function with the exhaust and heat shield, they must have noticed the problem as they test a new bike in all climates and weather conditions but the stylists won over the engineers?
Bet it's nice and toasty when you're stuck at traffic lights and the fan kicks in as well🔥

• Helpful
Reactions: lowdowntorquejunkie
#25 ·
CafRacer,
They are such a good bike and Triumph do need to resolve this issue.
But it seems some riders are less affected and I sometimes tend towards the casual-looking end of bike gear.
Being a naked bike: fortunately the fan doesn’t add to my warmth! 🥵
But the cat area gets so hot - you could not even dab a hand on the heat shield.
Maybe the test riders were smaller/ shorter in the leg?
The bike stars in the new James Bond movie:
‘No Time To Fry’. Lol.

#32 ·
No emissions test in the UK (y)

#40 ·
I doubt insulation or reflective tech will help. It will heat up just like before, it'll just take a couple of minutes longer. Removing the cat is probably the only effective measure, but not legal overhere unfortunately.
After my first test drive with an XE last week, the heat was a deal breaker for me. Because I really like the bike and how it handles, I decided to do a 2nd test drive today. Alas, definitely too hot for me.
I'm sure a lot of folks will have no problems with it, but I do :(. I don't want to wear leather pants / high boots to work so I drove with jeans and half high shoes. I like to keep my knees against the fuel tank resulting in my leg permanently touching the exhaust. I tried not to be a wimp and keep it there, but it was either burning my leg or moving it. Deal breaker :cry:.

#43 ·
Got an XE coming into my life tomorrow. Ridiculously excited, but as a tall rider taking the thing into Europe also very worried about heat. There’ve been lots of suggestions on this thread about reflective tape/ aerogel / putting a spacer in but has anyone actually tried any of these? Decat is the last resort and would love to avoid if possible. Thanks!

#50 ·
I put the self-adhesive heat-reflective stuff (with 4mm of fibreglass) on. Didn't do a thing for me and I ended up getting a low exhaust bacuse I found it so bad. Give it a while to see whether it's a problem for you first - some people have no issues at all. You never know, you might be lucky. Oh and congrats on the bike :D
Cheers
Bob

#44 ·
Reflective tape has been tried, w/ minimal effect from my understanding. Not sure if anyone has tried aerogel or a spacer. I think someone on advrider wrapped the exhaust from the catalytic converter back, and reported that it helped significantly. I was considering going down the header wrap route, but the potential for metal fatigue and corrosion was too high for me to ignore. A ceramic coating like jet hot or the other brands might be worth looking into.

I live in AZ, and summer is routinely 100-115˚F (38-46˚C) here. I can get by with a slight adjustment of my leg, and I have no issues whatsoever. However, I did just do a 500 mile ride and noted that my ankles got really hot on both sides of the bike. I think the way the air flows across the bike lands the heat in that area. With long socks, it becomes a non-issue. I have a 19' XC, and am 5'8" and about 160 lbs.

Decat is definitely the definitive option, but I too am avoiding that.

#45 ·
By way of more feedback.
I’m 6’ 4” and ride an XE.
Despite some heat issues l haven’t yet done any mods.
Although do have a de-cat’ed stock section to install.
This will obviously cure the heat problem.
But I have found that wearing the right combination of clothing/boots makes a big difference too.
I used to wear Triumph riding jeans and low adventure boots and my right calf really suffered.
Now wearing a full height adventure or off road-style boot and Triumph Gortex trousers. ( Other brands are available!).
Not having any problems and the boots/ trousers aren’t melting or being marked. Though my Falco boots are black, on the inner face.
I would probably avoid wearing nylon overtrousers or similar material on this bike.
Hope this is helpful.