Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts
Visited Meerkat Mufflers today and lost some weight and subsequently heat! Excellent work and a true craftsman.
View attachment 731558
View attachment 731559
Refitted it all and did the idle reset and very happy with the results. ;)
Huge difference in how the motor runs now. You can easily pull a higher gear through corners etc, acceleration is smoother as is deceleration, sound is actually a bit quieter and deeper sitting at 80 and 100kph. You can ride along with your hand on the front heat shield and leave it there without getting burnt. 4.3 litres per 100 KLM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haro - You have inspired me to buy a booster plug and once the good weather ends: Will be fitting my deCat section. I like the idea of even more engine flexibiliity - even though I’m already more than happy with that.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Visited Meerkat Mufflers today and lost some weight and subsequently heat! Excellent work and a true craftsman.
View attachment 731558
View attachment 731559
Refitted it all and did the idle reset and very happy with the results. ;)
Peter is moret hen a craftsman, he's an artist. I recently installed an Ame's exhaust from him on my T120, it's beautiful thing, a very beautiful thing.

Paul

Reactions: Haro and Furskin66

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I did what Haro did and wanted to report back. I threw it on the underside of the cat heat shield and the black part that comes by your leg. Doesn't make the biggest difference, but I can tolerate squeezing the pipe-covers with my legs when riding standing up w/ riding pants, even when it's +40C outside. It probably won't magically "fix" the heat for anyone if it was a dealbreaker before though.

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts
Has anyone viewed a diagram or seen the insides of the OEM mufflers fitted to the 1200 XE?
Interested to know what goes on behind these 2 pipes. Is the smaller pipe able to be removed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the look of the OEM silencers. But have fitted the Arrow option. Only because I got a deal on a used set.
Have not investigated the standard set and so interested to learn more.
BTW the Triumph Arrows are not much lighter.
Make a deeper sound and my bike seems to be perkier.
If you can successfully de-baffle your OEM units it will probably require a similar approach to de-baffling the Arrow units: Patience and a Dremel - type tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Lads.

Got my XC a few weeks ago. I really love the bike! I’m 6.2 and my spaghetti legs... the right one touches the front heat shield that’s over the cat. I live in Ireland where the summer lasts roughly 3 days so it’s not a big deal 😉 but I’ve done some tests and noticed that the heat is mostly transferred via those metal ‘sliders’ with rubber inserts/plugs(?). This is why applying a standard heat shield tape on the inside of the heat shield plate doesn’t help much. I think, if Triumph used a material and mounting style in front the same as the middle shield it would be much better.
Anyways, I’ve ordered some aerogel and gonna try to use this instead of those rubber inserts. Will let you know if it works once I’ll receive it (it’s coming from China so be patient)... I’ll most likely de-cat it at some point but before that happens I’m gonna try a few alternatives.
Here’s a question for ya - do you know any company that does bespoke (heat resistant) composite moulds/3d prints?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
66 Posts
@sidthar would you mind posting a photo of "those metal ‘sliders’ with rubber inserts/plugs" for us to better understand the part you point to?

Looking forward to hearing about the results on the Aerogel mat experience you mention.

Finally, I read others in this thread mentioning ceramic coating of headers to address the scrambler's heating problem: I am not sure I understand how this would lessen the heat coming from the cat region, especially towards where our knees are, as the cat seems to be the guilty part??

·
Registered
6 Posts
@sidthar would you mind posting a photo of "those metal ‘sliders’ with rubber inserts/plugs" for us to better understand the part you point to?

Looking forward to hearing about the results on the Aerogel mat experience you mention.

Finally, I read others in this thread mentioning ceramic coating of headers to address the scrambler's heating problem: I am not sure I understand how this would lessen the heat coming from the cat region, especially towards where our knees are, as the cat seems to be the guilty part??
Sure. I mean these 3 mounting points. There are rubber inserts but they’re defo not heat blocking. My plan is to cover all the contact points between the cat and the shield with aerogel. Will see if it helps.

·
Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
66 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts

I did the ceramic coating after I had the cat removed.
I also used heat matting on the inside of the cat heat shield and it definitely reduced the heat on the outside of the shield.
What test was done to work out that the heat in the shield came from transference from 3 small tabs holding the shield on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Much appreciated @sidthar ! How do you plan on mounting the rubber pieces back on along with the aerogel mat?

I looked and found these aerogel which seem promising and cheap - 3mm, 6 and 10mm thickness available

which ones did you order?
I’ve got the 3mm and 6mm. Planning to replace those rubber yokes with aerogel entirely. Will figure something out when I get them.

@Haro I kept the shield over the cat using a piece of a wire that doesn’t touch the cat at all. This was a quick non scientific test, but I noticed it doesn’t get as hot as if it was mounted on those tabs
Tom

·
Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
66 Posts
(...) I also used heat matting on the inside of the cat heat shield and it definitely reduced the heat on the outside of the shield. (...)
What type of matting did you install, and did you have to use adhesive?

I just ordered 2 aerogel matts (6mm and 10mm) and will try that but unsure on how to exactly fit it inside the heat shield...

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts
What type of matting did you install, and did you have to use adhesive?

I just ordered 2 aerogel matts (6mm and 10mm) and will try that but unsure on how to exactly fit it inside the heat shield...
Go back to post #54 & 56 previous page for all the info you need.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts