Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
WestfieldMX5, you could either put a sacreligious low pipe on XE or buy a Street Scrambler if you are not a giant or don't plan to offroad at speed. Loved my SS as a really well balanced bike but my XC is more awesome and much faster offroad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got an XE coming into my life tomorrow. Ridiculously excited, but as a tall rider taking the thing into Europe also very worried about heat. There’ve been lots of suggestions on this thread about reflective tape/ aerogel / putting a spacer in but has anyone actually tried any of these? Decat is the last resort and would love to avoid if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reflective tape has been tried, w/ minimal effect from my understanding. Not sure if anyone has tried aerogel or a spacer. I think someone on advrider wrapped the exhaust from the catalytic converter back, and reported that it helped significantly. I was considering going down the header wrap route, but the potential for metal fatigue and corrosion was too high for me to ignore. A ceramic coating like jet hot or the other brands might be worth looking into.

I live in AZ, and summer is routinely 100-115˚F (38-46˚C) here. I can get by with a slight adjustment of my leg, and I have no issues whatsoever. However, I did just do a 500 mile ride and noted that my ankles got really hot on both sides of the bike. I think the way the air flows across the bike lands the heat in that area. With long socks, it becomes a non-issue. I have a 19' XC, and am 5'8" and about 160 lbs.

Decat is definitely the definitive option, but I too am avoiding that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
By way of more feedback.
I’m 6’ 4” and ride an XE.
Despite some heat issues l haven’t yet done any mods.
Although do have a de-cat’ed stock section to install.
This will obviously cure the heat problem.
But I have found that wearing the right combination of clothing/boots makes a big difference too.
I used to wear Triumph riding jeans and low adventure boots and my right calf really suffered.
Now wearing a full height adventure or off road-style boot and Triumph Gortex trousers. ( Other brands are available!).
Not having any problems and the boots/ trousers aren’t melting or being marked. Though my Falco boots are black, on the inner face.
I would probably avoid wearing nylon overtrousers or similar material on this bike.
Hope this is helpful.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I am planning on the Akrapovic. My XC is decat’d and as far as I am aware, the Akrapovic is the only exhaust for the bike where the manufacturer has considered heat and has an insulated link pipe specifically to reduce heat on the rider’s leg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks good. I have the Triumph Arrow exhaust on mine: No heat issues at all with that.
The Akropovic shown does not have a decat section and so would surely make no difference to heat from the cat section?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Looks good. I have the Triumph Arrow exhaust on mine: No heat issues at all with that.
The Akropovic shown does not have a decat section and so would surely make no difference to heat from the cat section?
Mine is decat but you’re right the cat is the main issue.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Got an XE coming into my life tomorrow. Ridiculously excited, but as a tall rider taking the thing into Europe also very worried about heat. There’ve been lots of suggestions on this thread about reflective tape/ aerogel / putting a spacer in but has anyone actually tried any of these? Decat is the last resort and would love to avoid if possible. Thanks!
I put the self-adhesive heat-reflective stuff (with 4mm of fibreglass) on. Didn't do a thing for me and I ended up getting a low exhaust bacuse I found it so bad. Give it a while to see whether it's a problem for you first - some people have no issues at all. You never know, you might be lucky. Oh and congrats on the bike :D
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks @bobbo, @parallelworld @Furskin66 @Shoeshear, appreciate the input! She turns up in an hour, so will find out very quickly if the gear makes a difference. Sounding increasingly like de-cat is the only way to go (sigh). Maybe Triumph see an aftermarket solution as admission of guilt, but given all the b*tching and moaning, I'm very surprised they haven't knocked this issue on the head. If a car scorched your leg in day-to-day use there'd be immediate manufacturer recalls. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem! I will add on to Furskin and say the right gear goes a long way. I can ride in jeans on this bike up to about 90-95F, and even a bit hotter if I know I’m not going to stop much. I wear mesh/nylon over pants (scorpion trey) and I’ve never had an issue with melting/marking on the cat heat shield. It is hot to touch, but not hot enough that gear will melt with occasional touching for sure. I will say that the header pipe itself is hot enough to melt gear, as I have experienced first hand. The heat thing is a bummer, but it’s an emissions issue due to stricter emissions laws. Cat needs to get even hotter to reduce free nitrogen and oxygen radicals. No space on a bike to really tuck it away, especially when going for that scrambler high exhaust look. When my warranty is up, I’ll probably consider doing the header wrap or ceramic coating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I was evaluating a new Triumph for purchase, I was considering both the Scrambler 1200 XC and the Street Scrambler. There were a number of reasons I chose the SS, but the heat from the cat was a definite consideration. The 1200 XC was uncomfortable even for the short, casual ride in 60 degree weather.
Since purchasing the SS, I have found that the heat is proportional to how hard I am riding the bike. Speed=heat.
I tested the bike at idle and the cat reached 587 degrees F! The cat heat shield was about 278 degrees. I tried wrapping the cat with exhaust tape, and while there was an improvement, it was only about 100 degrees ( 275 degrees F).
Since then I have done a de-cat with a Free Spirits pipe and it is now less than 200 degrees.
I like the look of the side exhaust, but I think that the operational temperature of a catalytic converter makes this mounting location a huge compromise.
I would prefer a legal, environmentally responsible solution, so will be watching the forum to see what others come up with.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts
I have had my XE from new for 3 weeks now. I removed the 3 heatshield and covered the insides of each one with a self adhesive heat shield from Heat Protection Products. After a ride or while letting the bike idle after warming up, I am able to place my bare hands on the large rear heat shield and the black middle shield and leave my hand there, feeling just some warmth. On the front shield over the cat, I can place my bare hand on there for a few seconds at a time without getting burnt. I was going to have Peter at Meerkat remove the cat, but at this stage heat isn't a problem to the rider, and I don't carry a pillion. FYI.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had my XE from new for 3 weeks now. I removed the 3 heatshield and covered the insides of each one with a self adhesive heat shield from Heat Protection Products. After a ride or while letting the bike idle after warming up, I am able to place my bare hands on the large rear heat shield and the black middle shield and leave my hand there, feeling just some warmth. On the front shield over the cat, I can place my bare hand on there for a few seconds at a time without getting burnt. I was going to have Peter at Meerkat remove the cat, but at this stage heat isn't a problem to the rider, and I don't carry a pillion. FYI.
View attachment 731306 View attachment 731307
Do you have a link for where you picked those up? I’m definitely interested.

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts
Do you have a link for where you picked those up? I’m definitely interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Perfect, thanks. I'd seen those online from USA vendors too, but because of the slightly different name, wasn't sure if I was looking at the same thing. Thanks man!

·
Registered
23 Posts
JSS Hope you enjoy your new bike. I’m happy with mine and there is a lot to like. Give yourself a few mixed rides - Before doing any heat mods.
Though I like Haro’s approach and descrete use of heat tape. 👍🏼

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am planning on the Akrapovic. My XC is decat’d and as far as I am aware, the Akrapovic is the only exhaust for the bike where the manufacturer has considered heat and has an insulated link pipe specifically to reduce heat on the rider’s leg

View attachment 731240
I put a Booster Plug in my XC, and then sprung for the Free Spirits Decat kit and an Akropovic exhaust. It was a little bit of fiddling to mate the decat with the Akro slip-ons, but nothing terrible. I recommend to anyone opening up the exhaust to the extent the Akro/decat combination does to spend just a bit more for the Booster Plug. It doesn't do anything about the heat but it has a tremendous positive effect on cold starting and off-idle running on these Euro-4 engines, even more so if you live like I do in a hot climate. The combination of the three components is an expensive fix for a problem that shouldn't even exist, but once it's done-it's done. And it most definitely is a fix..

Scrambler 1200 Akro/Decat

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
88 Posts
Visited Meerkat Mufflers today and lost some weight and subsequently heat! Excellent work and a true craftsman.

Refitted it all and did the idle reset and very happy with the results. ;)

41 - 60 of 80 Posts