Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler
253 Posts
Both bikes look great! I haven't been on the 1200 yet, but I imagine I'd think the same thing I think of my 900... IT'S GREAT!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Spacing off the existing heat shield is a good idea but I would try to fit some of this heat insulation in between, same stuff they used to use on the under seat exhaust Daytona's, and if possible space the insulation off from the heat shield, far more effective than just applying foil tape but obviously all this will move the heat shield out nearer your leg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spacing off the existing heat shield is a good idea but I would try to fit some of this heat insulation in between, same stuff they used to use on the under seat exhaust Daytona's, and if possible space the insulation off from the heat shield, far more effective than just applying foil tape but obviously all this will move the heat shield out nearer your leg.
Thanks for your advice - Moving the heat shield out farther is not a problem. As long as it is cooler.
Given the newness and cost of these bikes: Perhaps Triumph are working on a mod?
This could even be retro-fitted, by main dealers.
If a new car burned your leg:
It would be a manufacturer’s recall. 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've never ridden a scrambler so I can't comment but if it's as bad as people say they should be doing something to improve the situation.
Maybe it was decided to go with form over function with the exhaust and heat shield, they must have noticed the problem as they test a new bike in all climates and weather conditions but the stylists won over the engineers?
Bet it's nice and toasty when you're stuck at traffic lights and the fan kicks in as well🔥

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never ridden a scrambler so I can't comment but if it's as bad as people say they should be doing something to improve the situation.
Maybe it was decided to go with form over function with the exhaust and heat shield, they must have noticed the problem as they test a new bike in all climates and weather conditions but the stylists won over the engineers?
Bet it's nice and toasty when you're stuck at traffic lights and the fan kicks in as well🔥
CafRacer,
They are such a good bike and Triumph do need to resolve this issue.
But it seems some riders are less affected and I sometimes tend towards the casual-looking end of bike gear.
Being a naked bike: fortunately the fan doesn’t add to my warmth! 🥵
But the cat area gets so hot - you could not even dab a hand on the heat shield.
Maybe the test riders were smaller/ shorter in the leg?
The bike stars in the new James Bond movie:
‘No Time To Fry’. Lol.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It sounds very different than the heat shield for the 900. I often put my hands right on it to warm them up. Or squeeze tight with my legs to warm the right thigh.

·
Registered
23 Posts
But I dim
It sounds very different than the heat shield for the 900. I often put my hands right on it to warm them up. Or squeeze tight with my legs to warm the right thigh.
Sadly that would not be recommended on my bike...
Despite how similar the exhausts appear to be. It’s the silver heat shield that gets hot...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm new to the UK, but if there are emissions standards you have to pass, you might be pulling it on and off.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm new to the UK, but if there are emissions standards you have to pass, you might be pulling it on and off.
No emissions test in the UK (y)

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
That's the stuff I used - did bugger all at the cat, worked on the 2 further back. Thinking about trading in for a Tiger.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's the stuff I used - did bugger all at the cat, worked on the 2 further back. Thinking about trading in for a Tiger.
yeah. This is why I think heat reflective tech will work better than insulation. Insulation is trying to stop the transfer of heat, but once it heats up, it’ll stop the heat from escaping itself.

Reflective tech will reflect the heat away from the metal and into (hopefully) the airstream.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I doubt insulation or reflective tech will help. It will heat up just like before, it'll just take a couple of minutes longer. Removing the cat is probably the only effective measure, but not legal overhere unfortunately.
After my first test drive with an XE last week, the heat was a deal breaker for me. Because I really like the bike and how it handles, I decided to do a 2nd test drive today. Alas, definitely too hot for me.
I'm sure a lot of folks will have no problems with it, but I do :(. I don't want to wear leather pants / high boots to work so I drove with jeans and half high shoes. I like to keep my knees against the fuel tank resulting in my leg permanently touching the exhaust. I tried not to be a wimp and keep it there, but it was either burning my leg or moving it. Deal breaker :cry:.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts