Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step One

Remove the header pipe system from the bike. I was surprised just how little tension was on most of the fasteners, will be a little more snug when reassembled. Then, on my way to see Peter at Meerkat Mufflers in Gympie, Queensland.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step Two
Peter's preferred 1mm cutting disc is the PFERD brand. He cut a line immediately forward of the front weld on the catalytic converter box. When the cut was completed, a firm tap of the header on the bench, and it was detached.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step Three
Another cut through the cat end cap, this time 3-4mm in front of the weld - this allows for a firm guide surface for the re-weld later on. Then the cat was finally removed, with a little persuasion from a pry bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Step Four
This one is a little tricky! Peter made a longitudinal cut on both sides of the box that had housed the cat, and cut a piece of stainless sheet to fit neatly in the centre. This controls the amount of turbulence in the gases from the header pipes. The divider piece was very neatly welded into position, no chance of rattles here!

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thank you for documenting and posting my process Pjay55, this procedure is the same for the 900 scrambler as well.

I'd like to emphasize, the first cut is only through the outer skin it's about 1mm thick. Time spent at this stage is rewarded in the final assembly.

I can't see how this method could be simplified or less foolproof ,but there are many ways to make it harder, as witnessed on some youtube clips and other forum posts.

I am always available to answer any queries or questions .
Peter @ Meerkat

·
Registered
175 Posts
To whom it may concern:
If you are wanting this mod in Australia and can't see yourself taking advantage of the information provided in this thread.

I charge $50.00 and usually same day or next day turn around and I think it can fit in a austpost large pre paid express satchel $25.00 each way. $100.00 job done.

Peter H

PS the extra large satchel is 51 X 43.5cm $25.95 Australia wide next day delivery in major centers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a run to Queen Mary Falls with a group of friends today, dodging bushfires. After 331km the bike took just 13.71 litres of fuel, which works out at 68 miles per imperial gallon. Pretty sure the decat is a contributing factor, as well as running a rear sprocket with two less teeth than stock.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, I wish this were possible with the T120's cat. It would have been nice to retain the original plenum.
tsmgguy , you know my offer still stands, If you want an empty cat box it will only cost you postage( approx $40,00 US).
I have about 20 on hand, I can gut one for you .

Cheers
Peter
@meerkat

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spoke to Peter at Meerkat today and he's done several of these now. Hopefully I'll get an XE in a year and will definitely get it de-catted to reduce the exhaust heat. It's 38 degrees tomorrow! I might get him to experiment with modding the existing exhaust perhaps lighten it/improve the sound (without being excessive of course!) while he's on the job. He did an XT660R for me once, and it sounded nicer than a Harley.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I had the XE decat done, Peter also re-baffled the original stainless pipes from my Thruxton 1200 - sounds glorious! I ride around town without earplugs so I can hear the sound track...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I want to drop in to say what a great guy Peter is. I really wish there was a shop like his in my area.

Due to shipping costs from me in Canada to his door in Australia, Peter didn’t actually do the mod, but did offer to find and guide a shop near me through the process. Simply outstanding.

I did the cutting and cat removal, a local welder finished the job. Very happy with the results.

Thanks Peter for the advise and mod walk though, and thanks OP for the detailed breakdown in this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts