Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 06 Scrambler that seems to be taking a long time to start up. This morning it took about 4 minutes with the choke out, pressing the starter over and over. It wasn't too cold, probably in the 60s.

Is this normal, or something I should look into? Any tips to get it started up faster if this is normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I assume it runs fine once started?

Sounds like the choke is not working to me. How does it start if you open the throttle a bit?

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It runs fine once it's started. The choke seems to be working because it runs at a way higher RPM when it's choke is out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hmm, you may be over choking it! You may also have worn plugs.

The Triumph is not the bike I am most knowledgable about, that would be BMW, but the basics are usually the same.

Jim :cool:

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
We could do with a more detailed service history, mileage, etc. It certainly isn't normal and the battery and starter gear will wear prematurely like that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
How long has it been acting this way? If it's recent, could it be bad gas?
How many miles are on it? Could the plugs be done?
Have there been any mods done to it that might effect starting?
How are restarts when it's warmed up?
How does the air filter look? If it's really hideous looking, that could be a factor.

Mine was really cold blooded at first, but has improved as the miles build up. However, It was never that hard to start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help so far!

Here's the details I have on the bike:

I bought it used about a week ago.
It has only 1200 miles on it.
Restarts after it's been warmed up are fine.
I don't think there are any mods on it.
I'm not sure about the air filter. How could I check that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another tidbit that may or may not help. I just went outside to try starting the bike. It wouldn't start right off the bat without the choke, so I pulled the choke and it started right away. This is after sitting for about 3 hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I was over gassing it. Sometimes it would take a few seconds to start so I'd start giving it gas with the throttle and at that point it'd die. What I thought was helping was really causing the problem :/

Seems to be working well now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts