Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They look about the same...both have white welting around the perimeter...look to have the same cover...both are flatter and taller than the stock bonny seat.

What about a comfort difference? I know gel tends to retain heat more. To those that have experienced both stock and perhaps replaced with the Scrambler Gel seat, is the Gel seat worth the extra cost?
Many Thanks,
George

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the Gel seat, and for my bony butt, but fat arse, it plain sucks. I am no good for more than 30 minutes before I start squirming.

I just ordered a Coprbin at nearly $400 just to aleviate the pain.

On the other hand, others really like it, and if my new Corbin is not more uncomfortable, I will be selling the Gel seat soon!

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I feel your pain JimVonBaden , I got the King and Queen seat from Triumph for just the same problem .

Least I know now to not think about getting a gel seat for me at least .

·
Registered
471 Posts
I feel your pain JimVonBaden , I got the King and Queen seat from Triumph for just the same problem .

Least I know now to not think about getting a gel seat for me at least .

How is the King and Queen seat? I almost ordered it because it was about $100 cheaper than the Corbin?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the scrambler gel seat on my Bonneville. All I can say is it's a big improvement over the stock Bonneville seat. I just did a thousand mile weekend trip. Stiff back, but the seat felt fine.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I put up with the stock seat on my T100 for over 6000 miles before I decided it wasn't going to get any better. I replaced it with a Scrambler gel seat in the hopes that it would be more comfortable, and also because I think it looks more authentic (like a 60s Bonnie). I've done about 9000 miles on it now and it's definitely an improvement in that I don't get the same pain at the base of my spine within less than 100 miles, but it doesn't turn the bike in to an armchair. It's also relatively good value compared to some of the other aftermarket seats. I've heard good things about the Triumph King & Queen as far as comfort is concerned, but I think it looks hideous.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I put up with the stock seat on my T100 for over 6000 miles before I decided it wasn't going to get any better. I replaced it with a Scrambler gel seat in the hopes that it would be more comfortable, and also because I think it looks more authentic (like a 60s Bonnie). I've done about 9000 miles on it now and it's definitely an improvement in that I don't get the same pain at the base of my spine within less than 100 miles, but it doesn't turn the bike in to an armchair. It's also relatively good value compared to some of the other aftermarket seats. I've heard good things about the Triumph King & Queen as far as comfort is concerned, but I think it looks hideous.
That was also my fear with the King and queen.

The Corbin I ordered, minus the red welt:

The King and Queen:

I don't think it would look good on the Scrambler, but probably fine on the Bonneville.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you gents. Appreciate everybodies input. I am fussy about the look of the bike and Paul, I completely agree about the K&Q...hideous is how I feel as well...no disrespect to those that like it. It no doubt is comfortable due to thick padding, broad surface area and concave shape which is conforming and why Corbin for example also tends to fashion their seats in a similar vane.

A word about seat shape and comfort. The stock T100 seat is both convex and scalloped out front to back. The carving out of the front of the seat reduces leg room...not good for my long legs but also slopes up in the rear into the passenger area. A combination of convexity in the lateral direction and sloping up in back where the tail bone resides I believe is the source of the tail bone pain many report. I feel this a bit. The Scambler seat is flat and hence is better for leg room and doesn't have this rear slope which pressurizes the tail bone. It makes sense to me its more comfortable and yes there is a balance between comfort and appearance...what the designers struggle with. One option since I am not a huge fan of the white welt and even prefer the pleats in the stock T100 seat is remove the cover from the stock seat and place it over a Scrambler seat. I am considering this option. Not sure if the cut of the side panels on the stock seat will accomodate the more planar shape of the Scrambler seat but I may experiment and find out.
Thanks everybody,
George

·
Registered
867 Posts
You guys are going to laugh but I went to beadrider.com, dropped $35 on the beaded cover and have never had posterior pain since.

I rode 800miles NYC-Indy return last Sept for the MotoGP races and was as comfy as a bug in a rug.

Its hard to believe I know but don't knock it until you try. I get your point about the look of the bike and the beadrider doesn't exactly add to the bling factor. That said, a) you don't see it when you're riding b) the black beads can't be seen against the black seat after about 40 ft and c) its removable for the days/weeks between longer rides.

Its an option.

P

·
Registered
471 Posts
You guys are going to laugh but I went to beadrider.com, dropped $35 on the beaded cover and have never had posterior pain since.

I rode 800miles NYC-Indy return last Sept for the MotoGP races and was as comfy as a bug in a rug.

Its hard to believe I know but don't knock it until you try. I get your point about the look of the bike and the beadrider doesn't exactly add to the bling factor. That said, a) you don't see it when you're riding b) the black beads can't be seen against the black seat after about 40 ft and c) its removable for the days/weeks between longer rides.

Its an option.

P

I know lots of people who love the Bead Rider. Unfortunately, despite having an ample posterior, I also have a bony one, and 10 minutes on the Bead Rider showed me more pain than sitting on a gravel driveway!

I am never easy to please!:eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
The King and Queen seat was a major upgrade in comfort factor :) , looks are what they are .

My arse seems to not care what the seat looks like , lmao . I wish it were different .

That said , when I ride double with my wife , she pushes me up into more of the front upturn in the seat , and out of the wider part of the King part :( . This has made my arse sad indeed .

I am on vacation atm and can't put my hands on my main pc links , but there's a Gent in Florida that does pads on seats that takes out the pressure points for pretty good price and he does more than just the gel option . When I get back will post that link if someone else doesn't .

I like the Corbin seat too . Never tried one yet . I think this winter will send my King and Queen seat to have that layer of space age foam put under at least the front area of my seat in the so called "King" area .

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've had the stock T100, stock Scrambler, gel Scrambler and Scrambler solo/rack seats. Don't ask, just worked out that way over time.
The stock T100 and Scrambler seats are on a par, I'm 155ish, boney butt and an hour was more than enough on them. Solo and Scrambler gel seats are much better, ride until you need gas and then do it again. Only thing to mention is that the gel seat has a grippier covering than the solo and stock seats so you can't slide around quite so easily if that's your riding style. It you have riding pants with suede thigh inserts then it might do a good impersonation of velcro. As mentioned, the gel seat does seam to retain heat when left out in the sun, not a big deal where I live. Seems that body type and probably handle bar height/riding posture has as much to do with comfort as the seat. As to value for money, wouldn't like to say, I've spent all mine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Many bikes, many seats...I've never found anything that was super perfect. On really long trips, I usually resort to going as far as I can and then throwing a sheepskin on. Then, I rotate on/off at every gas stop.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Just for the record, I have the Norman Hyde solo. I really like it :)
I thought about the Corbin, but I don't like a wide seat, I like to pivot my rear in the corners.....

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I have the gel seat and the solo/rack seat. I'll install one of them for about 6 months and then switch to the other. I can't make up my mind which one looks better. They both do a decent job but I think the solo/rack seat is a little more comfortable on longer rides.

I have a Corbin on the 'RT and love it. Far superior to the stock BMW seat. I'm not sure if Corbin makes a seat for the Scrambler???

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The seat from the 50th Anniversary Bonnie is the most comfortable OEM or accessory seat Triumph offers. I bought one to replace the miserable 2009 seat on my green and whlte bike. The Motowin seat on my 2007 is pretty good too, but they are difficult to source these days.

Dick

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the gel seat and the solo/rack seat. I'll install one of them for about 6 months and then switch to the other. I can't make up my mind which one looks better. They both do a decent job but I think the solo/rack seat is a little more comfortable on longer rides.

I have a Corbin on the 'RT and love it. Far superior to the stock BMW seat. I'm not sure if Corbin makes a seat for the Scrambler???
The Bonnie seat will fit, so yes, Corbin makes one for the Scrambler. That is what I have on order.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The seat from the 50th Anniversary Bonnie is the most comfortable OEM or accessory seat Triumph offers. I bought one to replace the miserable 2009 seat on my green and whlte bike. The Motowin seat on my 2007 is pretty good too, but they are difficult to source these days.

Dick
The 50th anniversary seat looks a lot like the scrambler seat to me. I'm going for the more retro look on my 06 T100 Creamsicle and want one of these, not sure which though. Anyone know how the scrambler gel compares to the 50th anni seat?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Bottom line... (no pun intended)
A gel seat in AZ would fry your huevos in no time...
No way, not here...
My K&Q is uglier than a mud fence in a hail storm but she sure is comfortable...
I can ride 400 miles a day no problem...
Hate the tucks, but one of these days I'll recover w/o tucks, shave a little in front and it will look like a Corbin...
I can put the stock set on for bike night... But don't...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bottom line... (no pun intended)
A gel seat in AZ would fry your huevos in no time...
No way, not here...
My K&Q is uglier than a mud fence in a hail storm but she sure is comfortable...
I can ride 400 miles a day no problem...
Hate the tucks, but one of these days I'll recover w/o tucks, shave a little in front and it will look like a Corbin...
I can put the stock set on for bike night... But don't...
Yea, thought that about gel. Long distance comfort isn't a big deal, I don't take the Bonnie on long rides (more than 100 miles each way). Have other bikes for that. More concerned about the retro look and since someone mentioned the 50th anni seat is 'the most comfortable seat triumph offers' I wondered how it compared to the scrambler gel, which seams to have good reviews.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts