Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
n00b here...

doing the Alaska ride next summer. Seriously considering taking the Scram. I know would require a few mods for such a trip (10K there and back). Luggage, Windscreen, Handguards, etc...

I am looking for anyone who has done some "real" riding on this bike (no offense to the 'round town' riders) and what your experiences were? What mods did you do? (and not do)? to make the Scram a touring machine?

Any advice on luggage setups (sorry the "bungee a bunch crap wrapped in a tarp thing" isnt an option for 2 months on the road) ? Windscreens and the like would be much appreciated...

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I thought of doing Alaska but on a Bonneville. After market parts are easily available (side bags, screen etc), just need to change out the tires for something with more grip on the slippery stuff.

·
30,178 Posts
I'm considering a long trip on the Bonnie next year - up through Canada. A buddy of mine is emigrating from the UK to Canada, I have to be a groomsman / usher at his wedding. Thought I might ride up to it.

Not as long as your trip - I reckon the bike is up for a long trip like that. I haven't put any specific thought into what it would take to do it. Luggage and a good seat obviously, breakdown cover and a cell phone would be a good idea.

Beyond that..........grim determination!

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
I'm wondering if they ever got the Alcan highway completely paved. Leaker you've got the most experience of recent. It's a beautiful trip but make sure you bring a jerry can for extra fuel. Stationed at Elmendorf AFB and Shima AFS on the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands. It's bleak to say the least.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't ride a Scram, ( Thruxton Cup race bike is my current undertaking) but I can offer some general adventure riding advice. There are "easy" ways to AK, and some routes far more challenging. Camping or hotels? Time of year? Starting from? Riding alone?

Folks do it on 'wings, HD baggers,and every color of GS you can imagine (and some you can't). Regardless of your route you'll send a fair amount of time standing on the pegs. Road construction is a fact of life through Canada and AK. I would really work on the ergos. Footpegs, handlebars, choice of windscreen and even tankbag will all contribute to how comfortable you'll be both seated and standing.

I rode a R12GS from Buenos Aires 2000 miles south to Ushuaia (southernmost city in the world) then turned north and rode to Alaska earlier this year. 18,000 miles and about 3 months to get it done. I've also ridden to Alaska from a more sane starting point. My website is still up from the trip, you might get some general ideas there. There is a blog link from the homepage that I kept active as I rode. LOTS of pictures and daily updates of my progress. Here's the link:

www.motoamericas.com

Feel free to drop me a note, happy to help!

Eric

·
Registered
180 Posts
You should look into the Ventura packs. They look like a pretty good set-up for the scram. I am thinking about getting that for my wife when she buys a scram. I have many plans of doing it. I worked in Deadhorse for a while over the last couple years and met a lot of riders. Two that stood out were a guy from Mexico City on a Honda 250 enduro and one from SoCal on a '49 Harley. The Harley had a toolbox mounted on a big cargo rack the guy made.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't ride a Scram, ( Thruxton Cup race bike is my current undertaking) but I can offer some general adventure riding advice. There are "easy" ways to AK, and some routes far more challenging. Camping or hotels? Time of year? Starting from? Riding alone?

Folks do it on 'wings, HD baggers,and every color of GS you can imagine (and some you can't). Regardless of your route you'll send a fair amount of time standing on the pegs. Road construction is a fact of life through Canada and AK. I would really work on the ergos. Footpegs, handlebars, choice of windscreen and even tankbag will all contribute to how comfortable you'll be both seated and standing.

I rode a R12GS from Buenos Aires 2000 miles south to Ushuaia (southernmost city in the world) then turned north and rode to Alaska earlier this year. 18,000 miles and about 3 months to get it done. I've also ridden to Alaska from a more sane starting point. My website is still up from the trip, you might get some general ideas there. There is a blog link from the homepage that I kept active as I rode. LOTS of pictures and daily updates of my progress. Here's the link:

www.motoamericas.com

Feel free to drop me a note, happy to help!

Eric

Awesome ride LEAKER! I enjoyed cruising the blog link. Did you have a support vehicle or was this solo?

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, I did it solo....I tried to be as smart/aware as possible, you know, no midnight pub crawls in Bogata' or Lima. I was usually moving at first light, and tried to be off the road by late afternoon. More often than not the plan worked. Crooked cops, maddening borders, stuff like that were just an amusing part of the adventure( he says NOW). I carried a "throwaway" wallet with an expired passport, a few expired credit cards and enough $ to get me through the day. And I never had to give it up. Being 6'3, 230 probably helped too....

Glad you liked the blog. Trying to keep it current in a world of questionable web connectivity proved to be one of the most frustrating parts of the trip!

-Eric

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
n00b here...

doing the Alaska ride next summer. Seriously considering taking the Scram. I know would require a few mods for such a trip (10K there and back). Luggage, Windscreen, Handguards, etc...

I am looking for anyone who has done some "real" riding on this bike (no offense to the 'round town' riders) and what your experiences were? What mods did you do? (and not do)? to make the Scram a touring machine?

Any advice on luggage setups (sorry the "bungee a bunch crap wrapped in a tarp thing" isnt an option for 2 months on the road) ? Windscreens and the like would be much appreciated...

thanks
I can't find his original post on the forum, however read his blog to see what adventure lies ahead for you!
http://mybonnie.wordpress.com/
He's got a great luggage set up also..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alaska

I rode to Alaska a couple years ago and it was a great trip. The first thing I would buy is a copy of the "Milepost". Next thing I would figure out is how to safely cary fuel. I have 6 gallons on the Beemer and average 47 mpg when I ride it well and got a little worried at times.
Plan on an Alaska Ferry System journey as part of your trip. I met some really great people on the boat that I still keep in touch with. It gave a welcome relief from the dailey ride. Get a cabin, do not camp on the boat. The cabins are fairly cheap. I left Seward and went to Canada and then back into Hyder Ak to see spauning Salmon.
Take a bus trip in Denali. Take the park Service trips. Cheaper and you get the same travel guide. Go as early in the morning as you can. Mt. Mitchell makes its own weather and will be clouded early.
Take a plane ride out of Talkeetna if you can afford it. I didnt do it and have regretted it ever since. Talkeetna is a strange little town. People were very friendly. Take some time there.
Plan your service stop and make a reservation as soon as you know your route. Summer is very busy and you dont want to waste time waiting at a dealership. I only had two absolute stop times. Trails End BMW in Fairbanks and the ferry in Seward. Other than that I had routs planned but mainly just explored.
Alaska is way bigger than you think it will be, take your time and soak it all in. Do not hurry. I was there 3 weeks and that just wet my appitite to go back.
Good luck and have a safe trip.

By the way dont even think about bringing a gun into Canada. They have no sense of humour about that. Ive been a Police Officer since 1976 and dont go many places without one but i left it at home.

Bud

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
n00b here...

thanks
Check advrider.com They've got whole sections on trips to Alaksa, some on bonnies and scramblers!

·
Registered
763 Posts

Stock bike with a windshield and the Ventura pack/rack setup worked fine for a short tour around the NW. Am thinking a bigger windscreen and a way to carry some extra fuel would be welcome on the way to Alaska.

I've been to Alaska several times fishing and backpacking. Great place. I'd rather see if I could rent a bike up there, or perhaps buy one cheap, and tour Alaska, rather than spending the time riding up there. Just a thought. Alaska is incredible. Here's a few shots from my trip there in September:

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is Alaska still part of the US? I hear you can see Russia from your hotel room. I rode 1,000 miles on my Scrambler over two days and thus cured me of my curiosity.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Ventura pack system for sure! Also, you can use soft saddlebags like Cortechs - just buy the Triumph Numberplate kit and strap 'em on. As the photo shows, with a duffel for the other camp stuff (bag, tent, etc), it was good for a 4K mile tour throughout the western US, Bonneville Salt Flats included. If you wish, I can get boringly specific with my set up, but suffice to say, it was a great trip on a great bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Been down that road, bring extra fuel....

The road is paved, if you want to call it that...

Have a good time.

DON'T GO WITHOUT EXTRA FUEL STORAGE!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Northern exposure

Tire slime and good tire levers moskito net will be helpful as for luggage I have an ortlieb roll up duffel bag held down with two tie down straps comes in handy if you need to put a BMW thats broke down in a truck it happens too often.Gas Gerry can for atvs work well for extra fuel.

·
Registered
760 Posts
i've done a few miles on the scram

I would recommend that you sort out the suspension and seat upgrades before you go. Good shocks out back and progressively wound springs w/ 5 or 7w fork oil and a 6" column of air at the top of the fork tube seems to work. A gel seat also helps on the long haul days.

New tires (and tubes) spark plugs and air filter just before you leave would also help. I also carry a spare set of inner tubes, spark plugs, oil filter and brake pads in my tool bag.

Good luck,
Kevin

n00b here...

thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts