Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The current infatuation with big heavy ADV bikes, which most owners admit will never see much more than a gravel driveway, are scary in real off road situations. Very few riders have the competency to actually ride them in challenging situations despite what the marketing videos depict. As I mentioned a couple of posts back I remain seriously impressed by the Honda 50 I met being ridden overland from London to Australia. It reminds me of the epic transcontinental rides made by many Vespa and Lambretta riders in the 1950s and 60s. Of course if you want to do it on a 1000cc motorcycle you can take inspiration from Sjaak Lucassen's marathon effort on an R1. Here he is negotiating a bit of dirt road in some godforsaken part of South America:
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motocross

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
...an Australian who was returning home to Sydney from London on a Honda 50 step thru. You really do meet the nicest people on a Honda.
My cousin rode from San Antonio to Laredo (Texas, 180 miles) to pick up my sister on a Friday afternoon, then they rode to San Antonio for a concert on Saturday. On Sunday, he brought her home, and then returned to San Antonio. 720 miles on a step-thru Honda 50. Only thing was, they could only top 35 on downhill runs, and just under 20 on uphills.

For a venture like this, I actually would trust a little Honda to make it, but it would be AWFULLY slow going, and I'm sure I'd have to push/pull/hoist it in certain sections...

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
A local man in my Town ran a Honda 50 for many European tours in the 1960s. Reg Imray who died at about 93 years just 2 years ago and was still a rider .His collection of bikes is now in the Bicton Gardens of East Budliegh. About 50 bikes and cars. I remember him when i was about 12 sitting on a Harley dressed up bike with all his USA police gear on. The Harley is still as he built it back in the 60s

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Those are some crazy impressive adventurers you've all referenced here

The nearest motocross track to where I live is a mile away from my parents house, I've called the club that runs it and I should be able to sign up for group lessons and some one on one coaching in March. The only place where I can practise riding on sand is Loon Plage, about 90min drive away, and it's a heavy, coarse sand not fine like the other beaches around here and very different to Morocco but its a start.

Bike wise, I'll keep an eye on the classifieds and see what comes up but I would like the experience of rebuilding an engine. I've also got the Norton arriving before the end of the year and hope to have it back on the road by next August. In the meantime, I'll start practicing with my T100C once I've mastered the basics on one of the club's bikes!

Keep the ideas and stories coming everyone!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
my opinion is a bike that wont overheat during slow road speeds while slopping through whatever is important..

·
Premium Member
1976 T140V Bonneville
324 Posts
BSA 441 Victor, single cylinder, dirt oriented, light weight, not terribly expensive
View attachment 770820
Perhaps the RE Himalayan and/or bullet resurrects and reinvigorates common sense, go anywhere reasonable, simple single cylinder, light weight, practical bikes made in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s by BSA, Triumph, and many others. Seem they all tried too hard to ‘go big or go home’… and went home.

Our local RE dealer seems to be doing pretty well… the Himalayan’s are sold before they get them. Personally, I like the 350 meteor and may consider purchasing the ‘classic’ version when it reaches our shores. After owning a 76 t140v, a new RE classic 350 would be a piece of cake!

Vince

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Perhaps the RE Himalayan and/or bullet resurrects and reinvigorates common sense, go anywhere reasonable, simple single cylinder, light weight, practical bikes made in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s by BSA, Triumph, and many others. Seem they all tried too hard to ‘go big or go home’… and went home.

Our local RE dealer seems to be doing pretty well… the Himalayan’s are sold before they get them. Personally, I like the 350 meteor and may consider purchasing the ‘classic’ version when it reaches our shores. After owning a 76 t140v, a new RE classic 350 would be a piece of cake!

Vince
There's a dealer just up the road from me, I almost bought an interceptor 650 from them but decided to go vintage. The himalayan would be perfect for the trip but not the kind of thrills I'm looking for.

For me, its a case of better the devil you know. A 500 or 650 triumph is the way to go!

Here's the local piste, looks fun!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts