Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Instead of home DIY or sitting in a tail back in the car with the family this Easter, I decided to fit a Scottoiler kit to my 08 Speedie instead - how selfish is that :D. Anyway, I've been having fun removing tank, airbox and fitting vacuum pipes etc. all thanks to the advice offered in this forum.

Question I have is, have any of you folks fitted one of these to your bike? Where did you mount the reservoir and how did you route the delivery tube along the swingarm? Any advice or ideas welcome.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
I have NEVER lubed my chain. It still had bags of life left in it after 48,000 kms and probably 4800 wheelies. I`ve just got a new S3 otherwise I`d be trying for another 10,000 km`s out of it. the Speed Triple comes with a top quality DID X-ring chain as standard and if you have a basic understanding of how o and x-ring chains work, you can save yourself some money.

20 years ago when I was a a motorcycle courier I used to use a scottoiler on my Honda CB350S. Without proper lube I only used to get about 2 months out of a chain and sprockets and the scottoiler was a great device which doubled the life of my chain, although it must be said, in those days chains were pretty basic. In fact the final drive chain on a CB350S is about the same size as the one on my mountain bike and just slightly smaller than the gold one I wear around my neck!!!

My suggestion is that if you live somewhere like the UK where they salt the roads, keep the surface wiped over with a thin film of oil to stop it rusting but don`t waste your money on Scott Oilers unless you are running a small bike with a non O or X ring chain. Google up o and x ring chains and you will see that a scottoiler`s main function is to make your back wheel filthy. If you run an an O or X ring chain, the chain roller lube is sealed into the chain during manufacture and is designed to last the life of the chain. Just as the rubber o r x ring keeps the lube sealed in, IT WILL ALSO KEEP ANY ADDED LUBE SEALED OUT. No amount of external oiling will change that.

Also worth remembering is that if a chain is f`cked, then it it is f`cked. You can`t miracoulously fix tight spots or worn rollers simply by adding huge amounts of oil or chain lube. They are buggered, you need a new chain and thats the end of it.

as a PPS, I always keep my chain very clean, with kero and brushes, as it`s the grit that sticks to the lube that really causes the wear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for pic and advice. I barged ahead this afternoon and got the thing finished. The flow rate is a bit slow. I have it set to 6 to get 1-2 drops per minute. Must be a blockage or kink in the delivery cable somewhere. Maybe it's a good thing to keep the rate slower anyway.

I think WelshRob's advice is good but unfortunately had the oiler bought before I read this. I'll see how it goes over the next week or two. If it throws oil everywhere I'll bin it.

Pic attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'd considered a Scottoiler for a brief moment, but then I saw the mess on my mate's Tiger. Yuck!

I like the Welshrob method lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts