Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dual injector on my scottoiler. One of the injectors isn't producing oil at all. I have tried to check for blockages but cant be sure. The offending delivery pipe is glued into the unit itself so i cant replace it. Any ideas??
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
My advice, take the whole thing off and chuck it. These oilers may have been nice on something like a '49 Harley with combine chains though I never had one on mine. But not necessary now at all with modern chains.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just run the single injector turned down really low.
With a modern O-ring chain the oil carries across to the other side anyway.
I'm really only running the oiler just to keep the rollers lubed against the sprockets. (Renthall alloy rear)

·
Registered
17 Posts
A possible fix!

It might not be the best idea being as you are in Manchester, but I've got the luxury of staying quite close to the Scotoiler main address:

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/contact.asp

Scottoiler (Scotland) Limited
2 Riverside Milngavie
Glasgow G62 6PL
Scotland, UK
Telephone: +44(0)141- 955-1100
Fax: +44(0)141-956-5896

If you ever fancied a run up north, these guys offer a very good after sales service.
Ive had issues with my Scotoiler Mk7 and have been in touch with them to ask if there are any service facilities at the shop/factory, but to my suprise, they offered a replacement oiler for approx £21 if I handed in the old one to them.

I know its not the RMV youre having a problem with, but its maybe worth getting in touch with them anyway.

Not a problem says I, just need to get my thumb out and head along one day. Heres a copy of the original mail sent to me a while back now::

Hi Paul,

We don't sell a "service" kit for the universal Scottoiler. But if you are having problems with your Rmv we do offer an overhaul service (this depends on the age of the unit) we can refurbish units up to 5 years old, any older due to design changes we don't have spares. The cost of this service is £10.75 including p&p. If your unit is an old one because you are an existing Scottoiler customer we can supply you with a new replacement Rmv at a reduced price of £21.05 incl. p&p (usual retail price is £31.30 plus p&p. All we ask is you return your old Rmv to us. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Regards,

Brian Pringle
Technical Support

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might not be the best idea being as you are in Manchester, but I've got the luxury of staying quite close to the Scotoiler main address:

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/contact.asp

Scottoiler (Scotland) Limited
2 Riverside Milngavie
Glasgow G62 6PL
Scotland, UK
Telephone: +44(0)141- 955-1100
Fax: +44(0)141-956-5896

If you ever fancied a run up north, these guys offer a very good after sales service.
Ive had issues with my Scotoiler Mk7 and have been in touch with them to ask if there are any service facilities at the shop/factory, but to my suprise, they offered a replacement oiler for approx £21 if I handed in the old one to them.

I know its not the RMV youre having a problem with, but its maybe worth getting in touch with them anyway.

Not a problem says I, just need to get my thumb out and head along one day. Heres a copy of the original mail sent to me a while back now::

Hi Paul,

We don't sell a "service" kit for the universal Scottoiler. But if you are having problems with your Rmv we do offer an overhaul service (this depends on the age of the unit) we can refurbish units up to 5 years old, any older due to design changes we don't have spares. The cost of this service is £10.75 including p&p. If your unit is an old one because you are an existing Scottoiler customer we can supply you with a new replacement Rmv at a reduced price of £21.05 incl. p&p (usual retail price is £31.30 plus p&p. All we ask is you return your old Rmv to us. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Regards,

Brian Pringle
Technical Support
Thanks Paul. I will see if they will send me a couple of new injector 'boots' FOC. My kit is only a few months old so hopefully there wont be an issue. I sent them an e mail earlier, lets see what they say.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My advice, take the whole thing off and chuck it. These oilers may have been nice on something like a '49 Harley with combine chains though I never had one on mine. But not necessary now at all with modern chains.
Dolson, Interesting that there is such diverse opinion. What is it about modern chains that require less?? lubrication. How do you maintain your chain? The scottoiler is supposed to lengthen chain life and require less attention, is that not true?

·
Registered
896 Posts
AFAIK the kits come with enough spare tubing (plastic & rubber) for you to make up spare nibs for the injectors

·
Registered
896 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Blockages seem to occur from time to time on the injector. The ususal cure is to start bike, turn RMV to prime, and connect your scotoiler oil bottle up to the air vent on the RMV and use that to pressurise the RMV with air sqeezed from the bottle. Works most times.

Non European riders may not realise the need for chain lube as we have in the UK, with all the wet weather chain lube is quickly rinsed away, the chain oiler is a lazy way to ensure the O rings on the chain stay lubed. Makes a massive difference to chain life. The average in my case was around 12-15000 miles before the chain had seized links and uneven stretching due to worn O ring seals. Now at 12000 miles the chain is still like new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts