Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted one to a Bonnie? What did you think?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I've got one. Sure takes the effort out of oiling the chain.

·
30,517 Posts
One of these days I will. I had one on my old ZZR1100, the chain was **** and span all the time. Don't turn the flow up too high though or it goes all over the rear tyre! :eek:

Ventura has one on his scrambler.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Don't have one myself, but I know a few people who use them on Bonnies and they swear by them.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Have taken mine of the Daytona and stuck it on the Scrambler. Love 'em - I'm far too lazy to lube up every 200 miles, especially since I have a tendency to do 200-300 a day at the weekend. Too much work!
Cheers
bob

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
IMO a Scottoiler is much ado with X or O ring chains. I mean really, how tough is it to spray lube a chain after every 2 - 3 tankfulls, after a ride...

·
30,517 Posts
Having just covered myself with crud trying to clean my chain and back wheel, having pulled it out for a (yet another) rear tyre, I am even more inclined to put a scotty oiler on.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a Scotty fitted to my Sprint. Not that happy with it, constant fiddling with the injector nibs to keep them directing the oil flow correctly. It is easier to clean the bike as it is only light oil as opposed to oil and wax but you tend to get more muck over the rear of the bike. I am not going to fit one to the Thruxton and given half an excuse I will remove it from the Sprint. A can of chain wax and the occaisional spray isn't that hard. Also the Scotty in my experience doesn't extend the life of chain and sprockets. It should but it hasn't.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Really.......a scottoiler......now that is just spending on toys because you can......point the bloody oil can at the chain and spray.

I can't really see why this would be necessary. Someone enlighten me please. :p

·
30,517 Posts
No worries.

The difference is merely that the scotty keeps dripping small amounts of oil on the chain, all the time that you are riding. Keeps the chain dirt and dust free and nice and clean. Whereas oiling it yourself it all flings off pretty quickly, allowing crud to get on the thing. And chain lube is gungy stuff that really builds up dirt.

But there it is - with the scotty if you can't get the thing set up right it has it's own issues. As I said before, I did have a bit of trouble with one once and had oil all over one side of the rear tyre, which wasn't so good.

I wouldn't mind fitting one again, just got to get round to it.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good to hear both sides of the equation in what has turned out to be a pretty balanced thread. I've always hated lubing chain, although these days given the high tech substances available today, it's not such a hassle.

Some people swear by the Scottoiler, and I think there are one or two more high-tech alternatives out there. Peter Jenks as I recall was quite an advocate. Personally, I'm a bit wary of the fiddling that may be part of the setting-up process with a Scottoiler.

I suppose the argument is more heavily weighted in favour of a Scottoiler the more miles that you do, particularly if those are in harsh conditions such as rain or a dusty atmosphere.

For me, I think I might just spring for one of those little gizmos that allow the back wheel to be spun making lube application (and other tasks too) less of a faff.

·
30,517 Posts
I just like my chain to be clean. Truth is spraying lube on the chain is not a hassle - I just went and did it tonight on a couple of bikes - took me all of 5 minutes - but man I love a clean chain. I just keep finding other things to spend the scottoiler money on. Like rear tyres..........

·
Registered
267 Posts
I believe o-ring chains only need oil for corrosion not for lube so why the hell would you waste your money on a scotoiler thing a ma jig ? I guess if you have a standard chain but, if you're to lazy to spray a little oil & wipe down you're sprockets, rear wheel every now & then go buy a Harley with a belt drive.

·
30,517 Posts
Why? Cos some people like them, same as anything else. Jeez, why so judgemental?

Nothing like a chain lube thread to get people all riled up.

Except maybe an oil thread.

Or an oil filter thread.

Or tyres.

Or.............

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just did a 2000+ mile trip in 6 days.
Never had to look at the chain, never mind lub it.
The Scottoiler did that for me, and will do so for the next 2000.

Enough said I'd say.

V.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think a lot of people don't know how good they have it.
old style non sealed chains on a dirt bike.
I had 4 chains 1 on the bike, 1 ready to go, one in kerosene, 1 in oil.
Rotate them through the process constantly.

I lube my chain on Fri, go for a 4-5-600+ mile ride on Saturday+ weekday back and forths worth about 60 miles or so.
A little kerosene on a rag spin the wheel, clean rag spin the wheel, lube chain. Walk away.
15 minutes and no fling.
clean the chain and sprockets every other month or so.
chain lasts 20K+miles.
Man I got it easy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts