Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, what I'd like to know is 'Has anyone done any serious miles on their scrambler?'

I've been booked to go to Scotland for a while (driving from London) for a week in Feb. There's three of us going in the car, but the thing is I'm quite tempted to take the Scrambler.

I've got an 07 model with some cosmetics - painted matt black, arrow two into one exhaust, tan seat. I know I'd need to get a screen (anyone know of a good one?) but other than that, I'm really after any advice.

Is it just nuts to do that distance on this bike? We'd be looking at taking 2 days to get up there and two back down. The car is going to want to stick to the Motorway, but I'm happy to get off it even if it takes a little longer.

Charlie and Ewan look great on their fat Beemers, but just how much discomfort am I really letting myself in for?

Any ideas...?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I've done several 2/3/400 mile days on my Bonneville and the longest so far was 720 in 24 hours during the National Road Rally in July.

I'd go for it :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Scotland in Feb is usually bleak - cold, snow, rain, wind, grim.
The weather tends to turn in March, early April, when it can almost be summer ish.
If you have that Brit Dunkirk type of mentality then go for it. Treat it as an endurance test rather than a holiday.
If you do, we are five minutes from the A82 out of Glasgow, heading towards the wastelands of Loch Lomond and beyond (at that time of year).
You would be welcome to drop by for a large bowl of soup.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The distance isn't a problem, but the boredom on the Motorway might be. Usually these trips are fun with a couple of buddies on 'bikes or on your own even if the weather is lousy. The dynamics of a car are too different to travel together, for instance you'll be stopping for gas every 1 1/2 hours, so either meet up at the end of the journey or hang with your mates in the motor.
As for Scotland in February, I spent a month there one week in January a long time ago, it was bad enough in the Transit... ( the weather that is, the people were great, just couldn't understand a word they said, sorry sofiaspin)
Mind you everything is relative. -25c here 2 days ago, freezing rain yesterday, +8c today, -10c tomorrow apparantly. Looking back it was T shirt weather!

·
Registered
758 Posts
This past November I crossed the US on my Scrambler - New York City to Los Angeles with two stop overs in Phoenix AZ. I think you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No offence taken - I dont understand some of the natives either, particularly those that wear football colours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its not fun up here in February that said however it would be a great test for the bike. I tend to ride most of the year up here and the biggest thing is not the weather but the bloody salt they put on the roads. Keep your eye on the forecast but remember if you don't like the weather in bonnie Scotland just hang aboot for 20 minutes :YellowWink:

If yer passin Dunoon kettles always on.

Cheers
Jock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts