Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bad behavior and stupidly abounds everywhere. Probably worst these days with a total lack of civility or common courtesy, throw in the smart phone phenomenon, it's a sad state of affairs. The annoyance factor is always there, whether you've ridden two years or fifty, We control how it affects us and we all basically agree not to let it impend our riding or cause an overreaction that can lead to bad choices.
I'm glad these issues and experiences can be discussed and shared in this forum, with thoughtfulness and intelligence without being too judgmental. From what I can see thus far, this is a very good forum with some very knowledgeable, experienced riders, perhaps an artifact of being Triumph owners? Keep it real and ride on.
PS: Penny is a beauty, enjoy!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I expect most of the damage to there bikes is when they come off due to riding like twats.
More than likely.

I imagine it's getting a bit like Thailand on the roads in London these days, everyone for themselves and sod the rest of us.
Riding in London isn't actually that bad, depending where you are. Obviously, central is chocka. But the are where I live is actually pretty good.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
And all the people I work with who talk about it with me (because I ride and they drive) 😁.

And various Facebook friends who also live in London😁

As I did say though, my vent was aimed at the type of guys mentioned in that article, no the general everyday commuter. Was that not clear?

Also, am I the only one to ever get annoyed by things they've seen while riding and needed to vent? Is it more noticeable to me because I'm still fairly new to riding in comparison to many others on this site?
As I said to you in my original post on this subject, I live in a state thats 5/8th the size of Great Britain and 1/3rd the population of London, I dont see/encounter the things you do, and I thank God for that.
I'm self employed so I can take days off whenever I want, sometimes midweek if we have an exceptionally nice day I'll just get on my bike and take country roads spending the day seeing places that I have never been to or haven't been to in a long time. On those days I see less traffic in the whole day then you do in 5 min of London driving. I have to drive two hours to get to the largest city in Iowa and thats ~300,000 people. I rarely see a scooter unless I'm riding around in a college town and I know what a Prius looks like but never notice them.
My comment about you the cat lady was only meant in jest, you seam sincere about the situation and I get it but I think you're letting this get to you a tad to much. You cant do anything about the little sh!ts and their scooters, their driving habits will eventually sort themselves out

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My comment about you the cat lady was only meant in jest, you seam sincere about the situation and I get it but I think you're letting this get to you a tad to much. You cant do anything about the little sh!ts and their scooters, their driving habits will eventually sort themselves out
It's so hard to gauge intent of an online comment, especially without emojis. The situation only got to me until I made the original post. Once I vented it was out of my system. Although it is interesting to hear other people's opinions on the subject, especially when they live in another country.

Also, I like that London is busy. Penny is my main mode of transport, and you get used to the traffic. But it makes me appreciate the country roads that much more when I get out of the city.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There was a time when there were very few 20mph limits in that London and 50mph+ in the 30mph limits wasn't unusual when the traffic was free flowing. 100mph was achievable over Waterloo Bridge heading northbound on a quiet Saturday morning. Happy Days.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There was a time when there were very few 20mph limits in that London and 50mph+ in the 30mph limits wasn't unusual when the traffic was free flowing. 100mph was achievable over Waterloo Bridge heading northbound on a quiet Saturday morning. Happy Days.
I think the days of quiet saturday mornings are long gone wherever you live in Britain.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Now, I don't know if this is restricted just to London, but I really needed to vent about scooters and drivers in a Toyota Prius.
I don't see that many scooter riders here, and have never had any problems with them, or motorcyclists for that matter, whether in the car or on the bike. Cyclists, however, are a different story. They think they have the god given right to ride 2 abreast on narrow roads, ride on the pavement and across crossings and slow traffic to a crawl whilst riding on unlit roads with no lights. We have a couple of cyclists at work, and I have to say it must take some balls to come to work dressed like that.

I would much rather have 10 Prius drivers than a single driver of a BMW or Audi. Mind you, BMW drivers are not as aggressive as they used to be but now Audi drivers make up for that 10 fold. In the car I have had 2 incidents with Audi drivers this week alone. I'm in the overtaking lane of the carriageway - overtaking, naturally - slightly over the speed limit, when a pair of headlamps appears behind. He's tailgating so close that there is only inches between us and he starts flashing for me to get out the way. I've had so many of these incidents in the 11 years I've been traveling that carriageway twice a day, that I have developed special tactics to deal with twats like him, so he was picking on the wrong one.

First I slow down to annoy him further, but I time this as we are coming up on traffic in the left lane. He takes the cue and moves into the left lane, so I know at that point he's about to undertake, so I slap down a gear and floor it to close the gap, except I leave him the space to get through but not enough space to brake for the traffic in the right lane. As he goes through I back off and watch the sh1t show. I hope that one day he misjudges and catches my front end, then I'll have him on his roof. The last time this happened, around 6am on Friday morning, just as he undertook and pulled back into the right lane, a car in the left lane in front also decided to pull out to overtake. The show of brake lights was splendid, and although there was no tyre smoke (ABS kicking in I expect), his hazards came on, just to prove to me how hard he had stood on the brakes. I'm betting that he needed a change of underwear after that, but his driving didn't improve any.

Truckers are another annoyance to me, they think you don't know they are on a mobile phone and no matter how bad the weather or how low the visibility, they insist on elephant racing, not to mention spraying the other traffic in sh1t while being stuck in their miles long rolling roadblock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mind you, BMW drivers are not as aggressive as they used to be but now Audi drivers make up for that 10 fold. In the car I have had 2 incidents with Audi drivers this week alone.
This, I agree with, wholeheartedly. Audi drivers really have replaced BMW drivers as assh*les on the road.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
This, I agree with, wholeheartedly. Audi drivers really have replaced BMW drivers as assh*les on the road.
My guess is that a lot of the arsehole BMW drivers changed to Audi to escape the 'arsehole-in-a-beemer' tag, continuing to be arseholes, and in doing so, inspired a new generation of arseholes to have Audis instead of BMWs. Some years ago it was Mercs, until it was realized among their owners that Mercs are not as prestigious as thought, when its considered that they were used in the Middle East as taxis, always battered, complete with rows of bullet holes in the sides. Volvo drivers have always been arseholes and will continue to be, because they're safe - in a Swedish tank, but rarely dive aggressively.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scooter / moped riders in London are a huge problem. They ride extremely aggressively. They filter where it’s clearly not safe, they overtake you in the tightest of gaps and often pull in front of you in very awkward gaps at traffic lights. As OP mentioned, it’s generally delivery riders that are the problem. They are paid by how many deliveries they do, which encourages reckless riding. And I’m not a saint. I ride fast, but I don’t have a death wish.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Scooter / moped riders in London are a huge problem. They ride extremely aggressively. They filter where it’s clearly not safe, they overtake you in the tightest of gaps and often pull in front of you in very awkward gaps at traffic lights. As OP mentioned, it’s generally delivery riders that are the problem. They are paid by how many deliveries they do, which encourages reckless riding.
This is the more succinct version of the point I was making. Thanks JR.

And I’m not a saint. I ride fast, but I don’t have a death wish.
Ditto :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now, I don't know if this is restricted just to London, but I really needed to vent about scooters and drivers in a Toyota Prius.

Let's start with the easy one. Drivers of Toyota Prius' are always SO. DAMN. SLOW. I know it can be frustrating being on a bike stuck behind a slow moving vehicle (car/bus/lorry/whatever). And normally, I am extremely patient. But there's something about Prius drivers that just gets to me. It's not that they always drive 5-10mph below the speed limit (although that is part of my issue with them). It's that they are always so cautious too. They slow down for every tiny little thing: speed bumps, potholes, wet newspaper. Grrrr! And, I swear to god that they know exactly what they're doing as they always seem to position the car far enough over that a motorcycle won't have room to pass. Most other drivers will move a little to the left when they spot you in the side mirrors. But Prius drivers always seem to move to the right. Purely for sh*ts and giggles. Fortunately, even though this is London, the road will eventually present a spot where bikers can overtake before the frustrations oozes out of them.

But, as much as I hate Prius drivers, they are nothing to the idiot (majority) one scooters. These people are giving bikers everywhere a bad name. Just because we are both on two wheels does not mean we are the same. Now, i know this will be a vast generalisation and it may be unfair of me to clump everyone into the same bracket. But, this is not a case of a minority few making the other look bad. There are a minority of scooter riders who actually respect the rules of the road, who don't take unnecessary risks in traffic and who generally not act like a d*ck when they are out on the road (usually female riders who are commuting to/from work as a quick cheap alternative to public transport or driving as parking is a nightmare in London).

No, this rant is at the assh*ts who will zoom past you at 50mph in a 20mph zone, so close that you can smell the buckets of Joop aftershave they have bathed in, weaving in an out of rush hour traffic, barely avoiding having their wheels clipped by trucks or buses. Typically they are delivery riders or off duty delivery riders out to prove their manhood by pulling away quicker at traffic lights than a biker on a more powerful machine. I would posit, if you need to prove how large your manhood is in this way, then your manhood is obviously not that big to begin with.

Case in point, this very evening I was enjoying ride home from work as usual. Going 2 or 3 mph over the limit, but being mindful of the traffic around me and for absent-minded pedestrians walking out into the road with an obvious blindspot for two wheeled machines. I see some traffic lights ahead of me just turn red, so I being to brake, slowly filter on the outside of the queued cars to get to the front. 10 secs later, a d*ckhead on a scooter almost crashes into the back of me. Despite it being a red light, with a row of cars queued up, he still approached at least 30 mph. Maybe he was expecting the lights to turn green. When he realised they wouldn't he hit his brakes and swerved to get in front of the lead car, only noticing me at the last minute and swerving again to avoid hitting Penny (my bike).

After doing the ubiquitous multiple checks of his mobile phone, the lights turn green and we pull away. He is only on a 125cc scooter but clearly wants to race. I, however, am above such things, so I let him do what he wants and he is soon way ahead of me, continually swerving in and out of traffic like a man possessed. I hear a screech of brakes as he is forced to stop at another stop of traffic lights. 10 secs later I pull up alongside him.

Once again, out comes the mobile phone, and I can hear him having a conversation with someone. He is so engrossed in that though that he doesn't notice the lights turns green. I pull away (still obeying the 30mph speed limit, especially cos this route has speed cameras) and pull up down the road at another set of lights. I see in my mirror him speeding to pull up alongside me again. This time, he is focussed. He is ready. The light goes yellow and he zooms away. Green lights are obviously for the rest of us.

Another set of lights and a few seconds later, I am alongside him again. From the corner of my eyeI can see him looking at me as he repositions his scooter to get a better line round the bend. It's at this point I should mention that today has been quite wet in London. We had wet snow fall this morning (more slush than snow) but some parts of the road are still damp.

Anyway, the lights turn yellow and away he goes, cutting me off. Fortunately, I anticipated this, so I hadn't moved. As I do begin to move off, I see him undercut some cars and then have to swerve to avoid a bus that was signalling that it was pulling away from a bus stop. He is now a little unbalanced and not fully in control, especially going around another bend in the road over some painted lines. The wheels go from underneath him and he and scooter slide very dramatically across the road. The scooter hits the kerb first and he, unable to stop his momentum, collides into the downed scooter a few seconds later.

All the traffic stops. But not me. I slow down and navigate my way through the unmoving vehicles to continue my journey. The rider is obviously in pain and I can see him clutching a bloodied hand (because he was too cool to wear clunky protective motorcycle gloves. He's fine wearing a pair of fingerless gym gloves). Some drivers who have exited their vehicles are shouting at him and he is cursing back, trying to make out this incident is their fault. I briefly catch his eye as I crawl past at 5mph. But then I'm gone, onto my ultimate destination (local shops then home), safe, warm and accident free.

I would have stopped to see if he was alright, but if you're gonna act like an ass, then that's what you get.

My issue is, that for our 4 wheeled brethren who we share the road with, they assume that anyone of two wheels will act as dangerously as this guy did. However, in the two and a bit years I've been riding, inside London, it is only scooter riders who act this way. Actually bikers, ok, we may go a tad fast at times, but only when there is space to do so. We may filter in traffic, but again, only when it's safe to do so, and always at low speeds. It really annoys me the uninitiated, we are all clumped together, when we are clearly not the same.

Anyway, rant over. Thanks for reading and feel free to share your own stories below.
Never owned a scooter, but my non-Scrambler ride is .... a Prius.
It uses about the same amount of fuel/100!
I do drive it more slowly, as you get addicted to seeing how efficient it can be, and honestly after trading in my v6 Triton for the Prius, I save in excess of $100/week!!! I love this thing. It pays for my bike.
Also, in Australia, commuting in the dark, there are these big bloody idiot Bunnies that can total a car and have ZERO idea of what they're doing or where they're going, and often after bouncing through the dark to safety, veer 180 degrees to see if they can do it again and how close to the headlights they can get. So, another reason to drive up to 20% slower.
As a motorcyclist though, I constantly keep an eye on traffic and stay 2 wheel aware.

As a side note, I consider myself a bit of a social moderator on the road too.
I'm not belligerent, if you're polite I'll pull over and let you pass, and we'll both go on our merry ways in the ways we mean to.
Flashing lights, honking horns, tail-gating - it's tunes up, cruise on, and chill.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts