Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am wondering where I can lift front of bike to removal of front wheel and forks for service without a front paddock stand. I have a rear stand only. I will be R&R front forks and taking to shop for service.
Hoping there is a safe and secure alternative to get front tire up to R&R.

I do have R&G lower engine sliders I thought might be ok to place on stands, but need to lift fro t of bike up to get it on them. Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Speed Triple RS, 2006 BMW R1200S
208 Posts
Your bike certainly looks to be in pristine condition!
I owned an '02 Speed Triple 955i, and I could see daylight between the cylinder head and lower frame members. I used to slide a 4 foot length of 1" pipe through there (with pieces of bicycle tube to protect the frame) and support the bike on 2 plastic milk crates, one each side, plus a few 18" lengths of 90mm x 45mm pine. Four on each side, I think, had the front tyre clear of the floor for front wheel removal. Unlike with a front paddock stand, with this setup I had unrestricted access to the front end and I could remove the lower triple clamp. I put 2 or 3 lengths under the pipe on each side and lifted the pipe (and the front end of the bike) to insert extra lengths one at a time on each side as needed to lift the wheel. I could also lift the back end (first) with the paddock stand if I needed both wheels off at the same time.
On the Speedy the airbox protruded down into this space, so before I inserted the pipe, I removed the fuel tank and airbox. This was laborious, but I only had to do it about twice per year for front tyre replacement, suspension maintenance or bearing replacement. Later, with my Daytona 955i, there was daylight between the upper and lower frame tubes higher up and I could slide the pipe in there much more conveniently, with no fuel tank or airbox removal. The 1050 Speedy has a wiring loom and dress panel in that space.
Anyway, something like this could be an option for you. You may need to remove a radiator shroud to take a look. I've also considered lifting the front end with a strap around the handlebars between the clamps, attached to the garage roof. You'd need the bike on the rear paddock stand to stabilise it, maybe prop the roof too. Never actually tried that, though I have used a chain block attached to the roof to lift the engine into the frame. A variation could be 4 crates each side, hang the front end from a pipe above the bike. Might be a bit unstable. I haven't tried that either.
IanB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your bike certainly looks to be in pristine condition!
I owned an '02 Speed Triple 955i, and I could see daylight between the cylinder head and lower frame members. I used to slide a 4 foot length of 1" pipe through there (with pieces of bicycle tube to protect the frame) and support the bike on 2 plastic milk crates, one each side, plus a few 18" lengths of 90mm x 45mm pine. Four on each side, I think, had the front tyre clear of the floor for front wheel removal. Unlike with a front paddock stand, with this setup I had unrestricted access to the front end and I could remove the lower triple clamp. I put 2 or 3 lengths under the pipe on each side and lifted the pipe (and the front end of the bike) to insert extra lengths one at a time on each side as needed to lift the wheel. I could also lift the back end (first) with the paddock stand if I needed both wheels off at the same time.
On the Speedy the airbox protruded down into this space, so before I inserted the pipe, I removed the fuel tank and airbox. This was laborious, but I only had to do it about twice per year for front tyre replacement, suspension maintenance or bearing replacement. Later, with my Daytona 955i, there was daylight between the upper and lower frame tubes higher up and I could slide the pipe in there much more conveniently, with no fuel tank or airbox removal. The 1050 Speedy has a wiring loom and dress panel in that space.
Anyway, something like this could be an option for you. You may need to remove a radiator shroud to take a look. I've also considered lifting the front end with a strap around the handlebars between the clamps, attached to the garage roof. You'd need the bike on the rear paddock stand to stabilise it, maybe prop the roof too. Never actually tried that, though I have used a chain block attached to the roof to lift the engine into the frame. A variation could be 4 crates each side, hang the front end from a pipe above the bike. Might be a bit unstable. I haven't tried that either.
IanB
Thanks for the info Ian. I decided to just purchase a front head stand, since I would need one anyway.
Cheers,

scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts