Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 2001 Bonneville is approaching 18,000 miles. I've had the bike for almost 2 years. I brought my bike with only 4000 miles. I've done two tunes ups and I'm about to do the third one next month.
I ride all year regardless of the weather unless it snows with a passenger. I'm planning on doing lots of long rides this summer.
My question is for my next tune up is there any critical component on the bike that should be carefully examined? What specifically should I have the mechanic look at other than general maintenance?

peace & smiles

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Hmmm...following the prescribed maintenance is a good idea. Other than valve clearance check and the usual stuff, I think renewing brake fluid is recommended.
You have an owners manual? You can get one free through Triumph. I do all the stuff; it gives peace of mind in this uncertain, troubled world.
Praise the Lord and pass the brake fluid.

·
30,533 Posts
Yes changing the brake fluid every 2 years is a good idea. Fork oil too.

I had a downloaded copy of the triumph service list for the bonnie but I can't find it. I can't find it on their website either, it used to be on there. I'll post it if I find it - it's probably on my home computer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the owner manual I just have to find it. Should I have the clutch cable looked at?
It's one of the thing that's worries me the most. Front and back sprocket and chain were
replaced a few months ago. I will have them replace the brake fluid and check the valve clearance. Thanks for the link thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have the owner manual I just have to find it. Should I have the clutch cable looked at?
It's one of the thing that's worries me the most. Front and back sprocket and chain were
replaced a few months ago. I will have them replace the brake fluid and check the valve clearance. Thanks for the link thanks for the advise.
I recently bought clutch/throttle cables from Bike Bandit. My bike has 13k, but should one break....the new one is in my garage. No waiting a week or more!
Going to buy clutch plates soon too.

·
30,533 Posts
Having a spare clutch cable around is a good idea.

With regards to checking the cable, inspect each end where it terminates, and look for signs of kinking and fraying.

I take the cables off my bikes every couple of years and lubricate them with standard engine oil. A painstaking process that involves hanging them up and dripping some oil in the top. Then you leave it for a while, and wait until the oil is running out the bottom. Then pull the cable a couple of times to make sure it is nice and free, and then back on the bike.

I have never had a cable snap. I've managed to recover a few cables doing this, too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I take the cables off my bikes every couple of years and lubricate them with standard engine oil. A painstaking process that involves hanging them up and dripping some oil in the top. Then you leave it for a while, and wait until the oil is running out the bottom. Then pull the cable a couple of times to make sure it is nice and free, and then back on the bike.
I do that too! However, being quite lazy, I disconnect from the throttle end and wedge them in against something around the light so they are pretty vertical and then drip the oil in. Eventually it oozes through.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
I use the lube injector thingy with the aerosol cable lube. Gets the job done in a minute or so. I still have the one I bought in the 70s for my CB450.

·
30,533 Posts
A clutch cable would take about 10 minutes I reckon, it's pretty accessible, and adjustment is not difficult.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
ok thanks. How much time to swap out an old cable for a new? What cable should
I get for my Bonnie? I'd like to keep a spare with me just in case.
Go to Bike Bandit OEM parts. Think the clutch cable was about $25 or so. Could order from th dealer too.
Not long to change aa clutch cable, as it is all on the outside...20 minutes or so. Carrying one around? Sort of unnecessary if unless you are going real far and you cable is old or unmaintained.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Those Barnett aftermarket cables might be better than the original stock. I wonder if they can be mail-ordered?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those Barnett aftermarket cables might be better than the original stock. I wonder if they can be mail-ordered?
Yes. The cable is $54.14 but not in stock takes about 5-7 days to make these special cables. I'm sure this is good quality cable but wow pricey I'll probably just use whatever my dealer has in stock. What is the street price for MC clutch cables?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts