Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy cow batman!

So today started out gorgeous. Went out with my bro and his 2 buddies (2 have a gsxr 600 and the the other a cbr600rr) and we set out for a nice run through the twisties and had planned on stopping for lunch in Rochester (nice town with good food just north of Detroit.)

Weather had called for storms around 4 so we set out around noon with plans to be home by 3, just in time to watch the Lions blow the draft.

We get to rochester around 130 and do a quick check of the weather (love blackberrys) and see the storm is moving quicker than expected so we cancel lunch and head back. We took a shorter straighter route to beat the rain but didn't quite make it.

We split up near my apartment cause I take the back roads and they hit the freeway as they live just north of me. I was about 5 min from home when the sky opened up and drenched me. The wind was so strong that I was blown from just inside the center line to the shoulder in about 10 feet. Lucky for me I just put a new Michelin Pilot Road up front to match the rear so I could stop, plus I was going very slow. I limped home which took about 15 min as opposed to 5.

My bro calls me to see if I made it and tells me of his trials on the freeway. He said they just got on when the sky opened up on them. They were traveling about 70 mph in the fast lane when the wind blew and pushed all 3 of them to the right shoulder. He said they were all in a full lean to try to counter the wind but it did no good. Luckily for them there were not any cars besides them. They were able to make the 3 mile trip to the next exit and get off safely but were quite scared.

The sad thing happened about an hour later when my mom called me to ask if we knew anyone that had a red bike and a black and silver bike. She said one kid was being hugged by an officer and another was being loaded into an ambulance. There was a car at the scene she described as having a motorcycle imprint on the side. Both bikes were in peices. I would assume that they were hit by a gust of wind and blown into the car. Wind gusts were recorded up to 70mph.

This is very sad and very scary. We all need to say our prayers for the kids, and be ever vigilant when riding in high winds. The 4 of us out on the ride are very lucky we were able to make it home safely, next time we check the weather we will be subtracting 2 hours from the predicted time. I can only hope that other riders faired as well as we had because there were tons of riders out enjoying the warm weather.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home safe as did your friends. Sorry for the kids who didn't. This is a timely post. My bikes have been sitting idle for more than a week because of the winds, but nothing as strong as 70 mph to counter. I was on the road in my wife's Ridgeline yesterday and two HD riders were creeping along trying to stay upright.

·
Super Moderator
22,106 Posts
Glad to hear the sad end didn't involve you Tom!!
I was fearful from the subject line that your new paint didn't look quite the same.
Congratulations on your maturity to take the appropriate action and get home safe in one piece.

Let's hope the rider who was hospital bound is being treated & on road to recovery already.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Jeeez man. I hate hearing about people getting in accidents but man, I like Decosse thought that something happened to you.

We get fierce winds up here in Alberta but it has been ok lately. I am still dealing with bizarre cold.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very glad to read that you and your bike and your friends and there bikes made it home in one piece.

Yes Calliway, living in Alberta cross winds there are intense. as well as Saskatewan. Not much fun to ride in. Cross winds make for a VERY stressful ride.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good decision. Sometimes it doesn't pay to push on.

I have a technique for dealing with cross winds which helps me a bunch. It is even good for gusts if you can anticipate them a bit by observing other vehicles or wind blown debris.

To begin, move to the leeward side of your saddle 1/2 a cheek or so. Now tilt the bike under you towards the wind. So, wind from the left, bike tilted to the left, you upright and slid over onto the right side of the seat. You'll know you have the position right when you are back in the wind shadow of your screen. You shouldn't feel the cross wind on your helmet. If you do, move your upper torso over further and maybe a little down (right in the above case).

I can't explain why it works but, I have used this technique in many instances and the bike is much more stable. Instead of being blown feet to the side, you only move inches. Makes it much easier to relax, which is the major key to handling gusty winds.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have also had a couple of days last year in high winds, but not 70MPH gusts. It is scary when your bike is acting like a sail and wants to send you hurtling. When I first got the Sprint, I thought it was planted but I guess no bike is immune. Glad you're okay Red.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,
I got real lucky. I've never experienced any thing like that before and hope never too. Goes to show you that the news is rarely correct.

The upside to the storm is it knocked power out to a ton of people in metro detroit so I got to work today. All double time so here comes my new springs. woohoo:D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Glad to hear the sad end didn't involve you Tom!!
I was fearful from the subject line that your new paint didn't look quite the same.
Congratulations on your maturity to take the appropriate action and get home safe in one piece.

Let's hope the rider who was hospital bound is being treated & on road to recovery already.
+ 1

Glad you and your riding buddies got home safe

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad you survived the trip, thankfully I've never been in winds that stiff.
Now i have ridden in sustained 50-60 mph winds at one occasion and that was interesting. When at cross winds it took considerable lean/countersteer to procede straight, plus watching and avoiding flying tree limbs kept me awake. I found the tricky part was anticpating the wind abatement from meeting traffic that would momentarily block the wind and cause a real shift in trajectory. What was really weird was when i changed travel direction and rode in the same direction as the wind, i was apparently traveling the same speed as the wind (approx 55mph) and the riding sensation became dead calm. You get a sense of speed from the wind noise and wind feel when riding, when it's dead calm as a result of traveling at exactly the same speed as the following wind it's just weird. No buffeting, no wind noise etc, almost like being motionless, other than the visual cues that you were moving thru the landscape. After a few miles i found my bike running considerably hotter than normal due to the lack of airflow thru the radiator and the fan engaged...strange riding experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts