Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
11,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone can setup an account to access our classifieds, including scammers, and scammers do register here solely to scam our members.

We have several reports of brand new accounts contacting our members with a Wanted To Buy post, saying a friend has the part they need and supplying an email address. Both are scammers, and if you send money to that email's PayPal account, you will lose that money and not get your part.

DO NOT do business with anyone on this forum who is not an established member who has built up some credibility here, or you risk losing your money.
  • Check on the member's site profile, see if they have registered on the site recently, and if they have made any posts.
  • Review the members posts, and see if they are the sort you want to do business with.
  • Beware of throw-way free email accounts (gmail.com, outlook.com, etc).
  • If using PayPal, is the account verified?
  • DO NOT use Friend & Family to pay for an item, unless you are positive you are dealing with a legit user or you are willing to lose your money. If you use Friend & Family PayPal will not help you if the sale was fraudulent.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Can we not have a post minimum before the classifieds are visible to new members? Something small like 25? I know it's an option on the old VBulletin software, but not sure what the backend of this one looks like.

·
Driftless Admin
11,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a good idea, and the site used to be setup that way. And we didn't have these scamming problems then. But just before we transitioned to this new software, site owner @Halfpint broke that and allowed everyone to access the classifieds. Heck, you don't even need an account to see them. I requested that they put those rules back and warned them that we'd see this kind of issue. But, for reasons I don't understand, they decided to leave it this way.

As far as I'm concerned, these scams are completely preventable, but due to negligence of site owners VerticalScope they have been allowed to continue.

I wish I could fix it myself, but I've been locked out of most of the administrative tools that I had access to before the site transition.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The halfman keeping us down.

Let's be honest, more traffic - be it legitimate or not - equals more revenue for VerticalScope. Be quiet and eat your porridge, your leaders have this under control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts