Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been keeping an eye on CL for a 1967 Triumph for a while and this one popped up the other day. (My current ride is a 73 Bonneville)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/1244490632.html

since you guys are so great at picking up on small details and possible issues I'd love to know what you think about it. I've already left a message with him asking if the numbers match, if the engine has been rebuilt and when, if it got an electric ignition. Haven't heard back yet.

I'm considering driving down to take a look.

I look forward to your input!

Cheers!
Joseph

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW--I just discovered that if you click on the photos in the CL add it takes you to a photobucket album with a buch more shots.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talked to seller

I talked to the seller a little bit ago. Turns out he's a respected Puget Sound area vintage Triumph guy. :)

Matching numbers
Paint job ok
Tach doesn't work
Engine and electrics in great shape
Brakes in good condition

Good enough to entice me to check it out in person. And, like I said, he's got an excellent reputation (he's probably a member of this forum, too).

That said, I'd still love your input. What questions would you want answered? What should I look for?

Thanks,
Joseph

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
If I were you and had the money...I'd snap that little beast up. Trophy's are getting harder and harder to find. That looks like a very nice example. If he has a ton of documentation, all the better.
:cool:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Damn fine looking bike ... and a reasonable price to boot ... that PLUS the reputable Brit bike guy thing equals ...

GO GET THE BIKE ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If only that were the case! I'm just waiting for the seller to give me a time to meet up. I will definitely keep you posted.
Thanks for all of your encouragement!

Is there anything these bikes are "notorious" for that I ought to be on the lookout for when I do see it in person?

Cheers!
Joseph

·
Super Moderator
13,272 Posts
Most old bikes are notorious for the purchase price being the down payment, and the cost over the typical lifespan being several times that of a brand new bikes.

That's just from people that don't "get it"...

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
If only that were the case! I'm just waiting for the seller to give me a time to meet up. I will definitely keep you posted.
Thanks for all of your encouragement!

Is there anything these bikes are "notorious" for that I ought to be on the lookout for when I do see it in person?

Cheers!
Joseph
I wouldn't say there is anything notorious, but there is still plenty to go wrong (that's half the fun!) If there are any mods or repairs to be done the spares are easy to get hold of and half the price of a modern bike. The expertise is out there so if you have a problem post a question on this forum and someone out there will have the answer for you.

Webby

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like a good bike for the money. I'd always try to negotiate a few hundred off... :p

Just make sure all the lights work, that it runs good, numbers match etc...

You could always pull the gas cap off and see if it looks like it's been repainted. Doesn't really matter, but you could. Maybe check to make sure the gas isn't all rusty looking.

Maybe give the handlebars a good wiggle, bounce the front a bit to check the fork seals, check for bad rubber, etc. then use those things as negotiating points if possible. They're usually cheap and easy to fix too.

If it has any leaks don't buy it (kidding, it's a triumph). :)

Seriously though, it's a 40+ year old bike, don't be surprised if it needs a little this and that. I almost didn't buy my triumph because the headlight kept 'popping' and the tail lights didn't work. Glad I didn't let that deter me. What a mistake that would have been!

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Seattle73,

I've seen a few recently in Michigan of a similar quality and price. Your's looks to be in the best condition I've seen. Based on the picture, I say buy it.

Henry

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may be a little late. The bike does appear good for the price.

For your confidence, ask the seller ("well known in Seattle") if he is a member of VME, Vintage Mortorcycle Enthusiasts, in Seattle. If so, he has a reputation to maintain and his claims may be deemed more reliable.

Ask what the bike needs to reliably participate in VME rides. The club is very active, so the bikes need a to be good riders to make the runs.

Consider joining the club whether you buy this one or not. Plenty of expertise there, and it is local to you with both a north and south chapter.

Spike
Portland, OR
VME member, but not very active due to distance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a done deal!

Thanks for your encouragement gentlemen! She's a sweet running machine and I'm proud to call her mine. :D

There is definitely work to be done. Needs new swingarm bushings. Speedo and tach don't work. Most of the rest seems to be cosmetics. Of course, you go into one of these knowing that they have projects big and small waiting to be discovered. That's part of the fun, right?

But she fires up first kick; runs and shifts like a dream.

Speaking of dreams, I'm off to bed now.

Cheers!
J--

1 - 20 of 20 Posts