Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice bike. Just thought I'd let Y'all know. :-D :-D :yayyy: :nana:

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Just got finished read'n the review in Motorcylist magazine last night. Love the wheelie pic on the 1st page of the report. :upthumb: Sounds like a very fun bike. :-D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sorta like a Speed Triple with long-travel forks and a really ugly fairing, ain't it?

I guess I just don't "get" the new Tiger. So, it has the 1050 motor, a fairing and bags. I thought that was the definition of the Sprint.

Woulda been nice to see 'em go further in the off-road direction. Imagine something like the BMW GS, but with the much more svelte 1050 motor.

Oh well... if I was in the market for an S3 with bags, I'd get the Sprint instead.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I love the new tiger. I used to own a 885cc tiger, and loved the seat position and style. This new one really looks better than the 955i girly tigers..

Id love to buy one. The gs is way too bulky, and after riding it i thought it was the most boring ride ever. More boring than my st1100 if you can imagine that.

The tiger has a great engine. But its no sprint. I love the long travel suspension. Riding around d.c. is horrible. The roads have huge potholes everywhere. On the speed triple its a tough commute. :(

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree with R100, Now they have taken the off Road ( I say that with caution ) Ability from the Tiger where does it actually slot in, between the S3 & the Sprint, Upright tourer??
Not saying this is a bad thing, More choices I spose, This has me thinking a big bore Daytona can't be out of the question.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2007-01-10 14:13, Limey wrote:
Nice bike. Just thought I'd let Y'all know. :-D :-D :yayyy: :nana:
Limey a friend of mine is interested in the Tiger, but he's a bit on the short side
The S3 seat is way too high for him. Is the Tiger's seat any lower?
Sorry 'bout this silly question, but local Trumpet dealer does not stock bikes. If ya want a Triumph over here you have to order it.
Would be an expensive exercise if he ordered one and was too tall for him.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Tiger seat height is the same if not a little higher.

Just checked. Tiger seat height. 32.8" S3. 32.1"

[ This message was edited by: Limey on 2007-01-11 06:22 ]

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It's so unfair! The new Tiger only arrives in South Africa in February (hopefully). Whether they get one here in KwaZulu-Natal is another matter...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2007-01-11 18:39, STEVOMERCKX wrote:
can you lower the S3 at all? it is a little tall but i was wearing thin sole gym shoes not my motorcycle boots.
Isn't that one of the purposes of spring preload?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a ride on the new Tiger yesterday and I am very impressed. I own a Tiger (955) and a ST3 and its a touring speedy if that makes sense. The styling is great I think some might need time to let it "grow" on them it is quite sharp. Likes: the engine (of course) lots of grunt great sound, saddle VERY comfortable for distance riding, pegs are a little lower so a more comfortable sitting position for long periods, easier sitting in relation to handlebars, and screen size/position sorted so I don't get the constant buffeting of the helmet, it feels light and very flickable I didn't get on to any twisties :( but it did feel capable.

Dislike: taillight same old recycled ST3 and ST Sprint light, would have liked more HP but that is not major, the COLOUR it was yellow, yuck can't wait to see the black one!

·
Banned
798 Posts
I think the Tiger and bikes like it (Vstrom, GS, old Honda Transalp, Quota, Cagiva Elephant, etc.) are the moto-equivalents of SUVs. Maybe like a Tahoe or Hummer II, they look dirt capable, but are really never going to be off road. Rather they'll spend their lives on the hard surface with the "dirt capability" there to handle crappy roads better than most road bikes with shorter legs. My guess is that Triumph knows exactly what customers are gonna do with this motorcycle and they built straight to the middle of demand.

I really like it. I'd be compelled to tour on the thing, use it around town to commute, probably not mis-behave on it though. That's reserved for the S3.

I'd like to see a KTM Adventure with 17inch wheels and better street-only rubber face off with the Tiger on road duty.

kjazz

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I sat on the Tiger at the Sydney Bike Show in Nov. Ergo's were great, it looks good etc. But, and I hate this with any bike - especially after having it with my TDM900, it only has 1 headlight for low beam and then second coming on for high beam. Only fault I could find with it.

I find this totally inadequate, even the Sprint putting on the 3rd beam (but not changing the lift/penetration of the 2 low beams) is not great on high.

I really like at least 2 lights on low (to be seen) and 2 on high (to see the road). Makes a huge difference when out in the bush at night. The speedy's lights are in the trees from the shop, so I need to adjust them, but I'm hoping the 2 low and 2 high combo will give good light.

Russ

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Get yerself a pair of Hellas, Cibies, or Adjure. Right now I have one Adjure and one Hella, just to be weird, and to give a broader beam. Two different colored bulbs also.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2007-01-12 22:24, ruscook wrote:
True Goffe, aftermarket lights would fix it, but that's a bit of work to do safely and neatly on the front forks or whatever.

Russ
I'm just talking about replacing the stockers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts