Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm getting the odd bits sorted on the bike. New sintered front pads have sharpened up the braking and grip puppies are on order.

Now I want to fit me Garmin Zumo sat nav to it but it looks like it could be a bit awkward. So anyone else here go one fitted? If so any chance of photo of the location.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I'm getting the odd bits sorted on the bike. New sintered front pads have sharpened up the braking and grip puppies are on order.

Now I want to fit me Garmin Zumo sat nav to it but it looks like it could be a bit awkward. So anyone else here go one fitted? If so any chance of photo of the location.
I made my own bracket for a Tomtom:
(Click on picture for larger image)

Click here for a gallery, full write-up here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like this?

I got tired of looking at those tiny GPS solutions. I got this 7" GPS and mounted it on the Trophy I just got. The neat thing is that this can also switch back and forth between my V-Strom in seconds. You can see how it looks on both bikes in the pictures.

My next project which will hopefully be done this Saturday is to make an adjustable handlebar riser platform which allows for better placement than GenMar risers and of course the swap back and forth of the GPS.

I have quite a few little projects ready like an engine hear ducting for warm air on colder days and some aux radiator pull fans to flow air instead of waiting for the auto temp fan to kick in. Handy in stop and go traffic, just flip a switch and pull fans come on.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
that's one hell of a satnav - it's the same size as the one in my toyota!

for now, i just use a car tomtom stuck to the windscreen - it works fine... i fitted a powerpoint in the right glovebox and all is well.... i bought a plasic case which i bought for when it rains.

when it breaks, i'll buy a rider but don't see the point until it does!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies chaps, I'll have a play at the weekend.

Oh and MotT3, thanks for the heads up on the tire pressures, they were way out. Front was 28 and rear was 36. Now I've got them up to pressure the difference in the handling is amazing :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, as I started the thread I though I ought to show you my solution to the problem.

Remove one of the plastic studs and replace with a 40mm long bolt, secured with thin nut between metal plate and plastic cover. Then make up (and paint black) short plastic spacer:

Fit Ram ball onto stud. Had to re-tap ball as they are US thread and the bolt was metric:

Fit Zumo mounting bracket:

Finish off with GPS:

I don't think the GPS will obscure the view of the speedo, I haven't had it out on the road yet. But at least the mount is fully flexible so there will at least be a compromise position.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I'd say, took the Trophy for a blast today, despite it trying to snow. Oh don't these handle well, tuck down into a corner and give the throttle a good blast and your round :D

Anyhow the sat nav location is perfect. No obstruction of the speedo and a nice clear view of the display. It also surprised me that the speedo is bang on, no error at all, thats the first bike I run thats that close to correct.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I mounted the car holder directly onto the clearwiew 12" sport screen. routed the wire under the strap for the bagster and under the seat. It ok in almost every weather, but when its pooring down I put the sat nav in the tank bag and just use the sweet voice in my Nolan Ncom helmet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GPS mounting

I use a Magellan Crossover, but I went to RAM mounts for a solution and for about $100.00 I received a mount which bolts to the clutch mount and sets the GPS off the left side.
I just don't like mounting to plastic, I think the vibrations would fatigue and crack after a period of time.
Delta

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sat nav bracket

Hello:D

As I will keep my Trophy 1996 for years and years as they are great I fitted my tom tom mount to the fairing it's not in the way of anything and works fine.

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sat nav solution for my garmin on my trophy.
Buy a ram ball with the diamond shape base from 'sports touring' in Wales.
On the yolk shroud remove the 'triumph' sticker, this ram mount them can be bolted directly in its place - made to measure. Then replace the two plastic clip things with s/s button head allen screw & nuts & its the mutts nutts so to speak!

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just bought a Magellan 3.5" model !!!

My '95 Trophy is a bit barren compared to the later ones.....after fudging a couple brackets for the radar/laser receiver.....I figured the GPS has a built in speedo feature.....just stick the suction cup on the Speedo face!!! BRILLIANT WATSON! Also with a good detector WHO CARES how fast you go!!! TON UP!

·
Registered
248 Posts
mclbiker - like this idea and found the mount online now...

just a quick one though - do you think the mount arm is long enough to reach above a tank bag - oxford sports lifetime expandable one?

also - i've seen waterproof cases on ebay with a mount for 50 quid or so - any ideas where to get these as the ebay ones come with the mount but not the diamond one....

i'm determined not to spend £400 on a bikenav!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts