Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard good things about the Sargent seats for older Sprints and called them today about one for my '06. They still don't have one available. What I've read about the Corbin product and their customer support has eliminated them from consideration.

Are there any other alternatives for seat upgrades? I've heard of a company called Russel day long but I think you must send your seat pan to them for custom reupholstering.

Help! Me arse is killing me! :( :(

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
omaz, what have you heard that was so negative that you've dropped the Corbin from your "potentials" list? You posted on my Corbin thread so you must have seen the majority of positive responses that were posted up there. I'm curious as I'm considering one.

Now's about the time OnD would say..." :ppcn: "

·
Registered
287 Posts
On 2007-06-25 13:11, omaz wrote:
What I've read about the Corbin product and their customer support has eliminated them from consideration.
Help! Me arse is killing me! :( :(
Happy sore arse to you then!!
When the monkey-butt gets too painful take another look at Corbin.
Enjoy the pain! :razz:

Jim T.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"omaz, what have you heard that was so negative that you've dropped the Corbin from your "potentials" list? "

I resurrected a thread from may of '05 from the Sprint forum that gave mainly negitive views of the comfort and build quality of the seat and Corbins customer support.click here So I'm sort of at loose ends regarding a seat. Maybe I'll buy a sheepskin remnant at a shop near my house for $25 and trim it to fit.

[ This message was edited by: omaz on 2007-06-25 17:02 ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Tom,

I read through that thread and two things struck me: One, that I didn't see a lot of negative comments about the seat itself (a few) but more that the customer service was sub-par. Two, that was two years ago and things may well be different by now. Plus since it seems that Sargent has yet to make a seat for the current model Sprints so it seems like Corbin or Triumph gel. I've heard decent things about the OEM gels as well.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the Triumph Gels are relatively inexpensive. See here. DaveM and his lovely wife seem to find it comfortable. Maybe that's the ticket?

[ This message was edited by: omaz on 2007-06-25 20:07 ]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have some experience with corbin. The products are fine, the problem is the reps on the end of the phone. I had difficulty with a new seat on my harley, after throwin g a tantrum and finally getting to talk to a manger, I sent my seat back and it was returned with all faults correctede including a much better fit.
Seems they have difficulty either recruiting or training the reps. I recomend persevering because once right the seats are great
Gary

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does anybody know if you purchase the gel seat is it impossible to secure based on the poorly engineered bolt positions on the stock seat.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Aren't the gel seats a key-lock type? I hope so after the hell I went through to get mine back on. It's the clips man...THE CLIPS :wow:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sargent may not yet make a complete seat for the new series Sprint, but they certainly can and will rework a stock seat any way you wish. I had my stock Triumph seat reworked by them and it is a great option. And their customer support was stellar! They returned calls before I sent the seat in and even called a couple of times during the build to be sure that they were on the same page as me regarding the modifications. I think they will also obtain a stock seat pan for you if you wish from a local breaker and rework that seat if necessary. I recommend them highly. I've been more than happy with their work. It actually turned out 'Better' than I envisioned and now days that's dam near amazing!

Sargent Custom Services

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Sargent custom service looks to be an excellent option. I wonder why their sales rep didn't mention it when I called them yesterday?

Thanks Stlakid!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I wonder if anyone does or could make a cowl for the sprint. I'd love to be able to turn the key, pop off the seat, remove the grab bar and cover the back end with hard plastic. And be able to throw it all back on in a short period of time. It would be mostly cosmetic in nature but it would look pretty sweet. Let me see if my photoshop skills are up to creating a mock-up.

:hammer:

·
Registered
298 Posts
On 2007-06-25 22:28, denman13 wrote:
Aren't the gel seats a key-lock type? I hope so after the hell I went through to get mine back on. It's the clips man...THE CLIPS :wow:
I'm assuming you're referring to the Triumph gel seat. No, they're secured the same way as stock, and yes, it totally sucks!!! :brk: As for comfort, it's great! No complaints whatsoever from either me or my wife/pillion, even on extended rides! I think it's shaped a little differently from the stock seat (with less of a forward slant), and the covering offers a better grip. Sliding into the tank (or the pillion into the pilot) has not been a problem for us. Be advised though: if parked in the direct sun for a while, the seat gets really HOT! :eek: We've had to douse ours a couple of times with some ice water, and saw steam! Fortunately, it cools down (and dries) quickly, so it's it's not really a problem. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually don't think the stock seat is too bad. I just did over 3600 miles in 9 days, with a couple of days rest in there. For a total of just over 4200 miles on my new 07. So except for the 500+ miles days I never really did get monkey butt. And actually my knees got more sore from being bent more than my rump did. That and having to get used the wrists and riding postion being more bent over than my 92 GSX1100G sport-TOURER which nows feels like a cruiser. I would say stick with the stock seat unless you find it is really unbearable. Cause like our sore as.. rumps, opinions everone has one.
/Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts