Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just ordered an 800 Tiger ABS Sapphire Blue (2013 colour they say) with a a few goodies inc panniers, top box, adjustable screen, heated grips and lower seat after being loaned a bike when my 2007 Sprint ST 1050 went in for service. Loved it immediately and negotiated trade in inc allowance for the service on the ST (in the form of £500 of free goodies rather than cash but that was OK).

I am 65 coming on 66 and have been thinking about getting a lighter bike for a while now. The Sprint is a great bike but I have always found it awkward and anything but confidence inspiring at low speed (e.g. U turns, turning right at a T junction). Also too much pressure on wrists at town speeds though fine over 40 mph.
I think the 07 Sprint has a lower seat than the later ones but even so being rather short (29" inside leg) I can't quite get my feet flat on the ground. Usually that's Ok but sometimes, combined with the weight of the bike (esp with panniers loaded) it makes me twitchy. Also I've always found the gearbox a bit clunky though Triumph say nothing wrong with it. And of course the headlights, for a modern bike, are sh*te as is well known.

Have considered a Bonneville but it's really a backroads short spin bike - I usually do a Continental trip every year and I wouldn't enjoy it much on a Bonneville, never mind lack of hard luggage Also indifferent performance, no wind protection, limited range, tank too narrow so you can't grip it with your knees - and overpriced for what it is (though it looks great and great fun to ride).

I'd never really considered the Tiger 800 so when I rode it, it was a revelation. Got in 100 miles and liked the nimble handling, much better than Sprint at low speed (did a U turn fine in side street when I got lost), plenty of usable power, good acceleration, great cornering (much more responsive and less heavy steering than the Sprint), good riding position, and great fun. Plenty fast enough for me. Responded well when I went over an Essex pothole on a back road. Makes the Sprint seem quite lumbering (even though I am rather sorry to see it go) - the Tiger is definitely a newer generation bike.

The only thing i didn't like was the wind noise - found it quite noisy over 70mph but but better if I ducked down a bit - so i have ordered taller adjustable screen.

I have had a number of Hinckley Trumpies - Trophy 900, Sprint ST 955, Daytona 955i (best looking, most fun and my favourite til now), TT600, Daytona 600 and the Sprint. All have been good in their way, including the much-maligned TT600, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the Tiger shapes up – all the road tests are encouraging and confirm what I feel - now got to wait until mid June when I'm back from holiday in France (in camper van, may take by 1960 Velo on the back)before I pick up my new toy. Have downloaded the owners' manual so that's something to read while I'm away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, yours was the 1st post that came up when I searched for "Tiger ABS" as I'm considering a good deal on a 2007 non-ABS 1050, though leaning toward a 800 XRX or 900, to get my feet wet w longer rides than local backroads

Anyway, been a while (8 years, but time does fly), how did you like the Tiger?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts