Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Standard procedure here, I'll be removing the SAI and O2 sensors once the kits come in. I've had the bike ('16 America) for a few months and I'm tired of the super snatchy throttle response. Ill use TuneECU to turn off the warning lights so no issues there.
Here's the question that I cant find an answer to. Will I have to load custom maps? I bought the bike with aftermarket pipes, and I don't know what kind they are so I'm having issues finding custom maps. With all the sensors intact, the machine in theory should be adapting to different ride conditions. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, so our weather here changes drastically throughout the riding season. In one riding season Its not uncommon to have a 40 degree Celsius variance, and between 10% and 60% humidity. So in kind, the amount oxygen in the air changes a good deal. Without loading a custom map am I now going to have issues with performance as the season goes on? Will doing the mod now, at the start of the season, cause bogging at the peak? Its also possible that I know just enough about the workings of an engine to overthink this, and not enough to really know what I'm talking about.
Lemme know if anyone's got thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it! I got in touch with my dealership but they were about as helpful as you'd expect.
Cheers
Costa

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hey all,
Standard procedure here, I'll be removing the SAI and O2 sensors once the kits come in. I've had the bike ('16 America) for a few months and I'm tired of the super snatchy throttle response. Ill use TuneECU to turn off the warning lights so no issues there.
Here's the question that I cant find an answer to. Will I have to load custom maps?

Cheers
Costa
The answer is yes, you would need to load a modified map to avoid the CEL with the items missing. And yes, removing the O2 sensors does benefit from some small fueling changes. There are a couple of maps on the TuneECU site. One of the modified 20516 maps (20516_nospeed_plus 5F 5L_boost_Lfor_pop) has worked for at least one member here in the past. They do still have the SAI & O2 sensors active.
So if you have TuneECU working and have the OBDII cable you could try loading it and testing before making the physical changes. If more adjusting was needed, the fueling changes in that map may compensate for modifying it by unchecking the SAI & O2 monitoring(and then saving those changes) and then removing those bits.
And of course, TriumphTwinPower has fuel maps (with a TuneLoader to ease the job) and the needed cable for sale.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i removed the sai and 02.stock map no probs...in fact i used a custom map and it ran like crap.it will adapt to conditions.its been ok 2years....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts