Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is a compilation to focus on different saddlebag options.

Please post pictures of your saddlebags here, specify what brand they are, and add any comments about value / quality / ease of use / weatherproofing etc.

MODERATOR NOTE:

As usual with the informational stickies, we will keep it free of chat and clutter, so please keep it to specific saddlebag postings to keep the thread easy to scan.

Links to prior saddlebag reviews are totally acceptable, and encouraged.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tour Master Cruiser II Large

They're holding their shape nicely, perfect size and look for the bonnie in my book. I haven't used them in the rain but they come with covers, retail for about $150.

·
Registered
239 Posts
river road compact bags

A little on the small side, but I think anything bigger for daily use kind of overwhelms the look of the bike. I like the look of these a LOT - they're faux leather but a perfect complement to the faux leather look of the stock seat.

$80.

Jeff

·
Registered
659 Posts
Started with the Triumph leather bags:

Which looked great, but didn't hold much in actual use:

So I swapped them for some soft bags with an expansion gusset that doubles their size:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Bags

Tourmaster 2 Medium Slants, using Triumph rails. I have since taken them off but mount when needed. Great for day trips, excellent quality, but not suitable for real touring.

·
Administrator
11,027 Posts
I have the Triumph soft bags, to me:

1. They are a good size for day-to-day use
  2. Come with real nice brackets, easy to install
  3. High Quality
  4. Look good
  5. Too small for longer trips, I need a second set for that
  6. You pay for the Triumph name and can buy cheaper elsewhere
Given all that, I love them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are BMW R1200C cases fitted to my T100. I had a local fabricator make the frames. They detach easily and retain the stock indicator mounts. These are 22 usable litres, but there are 37 litre ones available.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks or practicality

Though expensive, I have to say this style triumph originals are IMO the best lookers.

I tend not to keep saddle bags on tho, so for practicality a pair of RJ or Gearsack throwovers are more practical, as you dont have the mounts on then. But I really like scooter junkies set. Can you provide more detail such as link and are they throwover. I have removed my brackets and the UK sticker now.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
This is the Triumph slanted leather pannier A9528011 (accessory for the America/Speedmaster). I had a frame made to keep it as close as possible to the bike. Although it surely isn't exactly “café” I think it looks rather discrete.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Now that the Bonnie has the bags I like

I had to find a new home for the Triumph bags:

But I think I'll be leaving the tail trunk off most of the time:

·
29,945 Posts
Anyone have a Bonneville with BC Predators that has bags fitted? I am wondering if any of the bag options have clearance issues there. I would guess that Thruxton owners can chime in as well.
I have the city bags on, and they clear the predators just fine. I have a set of the cortech bags like ljnichol has, and I don't see any issues with those either.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I liked JeffZ's bags so well I ordered some from Biker Bandit also. I ordered them in the afternoon and they arrived the next day. Crazy fast. They are the RiverRoad compact bags. They are awesome. Not only are they the least expensive bags :), they don't over power the Bonnie at all. I love the fact that they are not the wind swept look. I think they look very retro and fit the bike perfectly. Like JeffZ says, the vinyl goes great with the look of the vinyl seat. I bought the MC Resources luggage brackets from New Bonneville. They had a special where you get the brackets, their new lockable quick release brackets for your luggage and a grab rail for a pretty good price. I went ahead and had the saddlebags go under my seat for a recent trip. I'm thinking about using the quick release brackets with some vintage metal wire baskets I have. I think it may look pretty cool for around town. I'll post those pics once I give it a try. I may raise the saddle bags a bit more just for looks. I just used them on my trip to Phoenix and they did everything I wanted them to. Cheers!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Triumph Teardrops

Got them with free accessories at purchase of bike 2 years ago but they are not very flexible and hard to put large items in. They are already degrading so will probably replace with something better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Leatherlyke

I like the looks of the Leatherlyke bags, But I'm not sure about the mounting. I had these on my old bike and loved them. Anyone tried them? It looks like they require the Factory grab rail, and they don't show what it looks like with the bags off. (Although I never took them off my old bike. They're also good for preventing road rash, kind of like dual purpose crash bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
RE: Leatherlyke Hardbags

I like the looks of the Leatherlyke bags, But I'm not sure about the mounting. I had these on my old bike and loved them. Anyone tried them? It looks like they require the Factory grab rail, and they don't show what it looks like with the bags off. (Although I never took them off my old bike. They're also good for preventing road rash, kind of like dual purpose crash bars.
I also had them on my old bike, and don't think they can be beat for function and value. I was considering Hepco Beckers, but when it came to budget - and how messy the German mounts look w/ the bags off, well again Leatherlyke rules. With no cruiser-style fender rail the mounts are a little more high-profile (with a floating plate), but still not bad. I have the MC Resources luggage rack (which needed some time with a grinder to fit with the Triumph tall sissybar) and yes the factory grabrail is in there too, but altogether I have a functional system true to my interpretation of the '81 Bonnie Executive. As my sole transport I needed to be able to lock up my kit at work etc, and once you've had locking hardbags it's nigh impossible to go back. Two thumbs up for Leatherlykes!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 427 Posts