Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is necessary to have slant bags on 2011 speedmaster due to outside spring? i am measuring a possible length of bag fit at 16 inches.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It would probably depend on what you want to do. I have saddle bags that are mounted on EZ Brackets. I put a 1/4" spacer to clear the shocks.

Having said that, some people don't like how much the bags stick out from the bike. I want to be able to remove the bags easily, so that was my priority.

HTH,

H.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the pics. The type of bags that go with this type of bracket, these are semi rigid? Are there certain brands? What brand is yours? They look like they have decent capacity.

I have always had soft bags with brackets. Your setup allows you to take the bags right off correct?

I understand what you are saying about clearing the shock by adding a spacer. Lots of choices, its kind of overwhelming.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi. Yes, I was just as confused as you when I was looking. Lots of options. I almost bought the slant bags and then I learned about different mounting options.

Yes, the bags must be semi-rigid, or reinforced. I have Edge bags that are plain, and are semi-rigid.

http://www.edgeleather.com/Edge-Products/Edge-Rigid-Saddlebags/Model-102.html

I like these bags. They are strong and don't leak. Lots of capacity, and never had a problem with them. It's also handy to be able to remove the bags from the bikes if you are travelling.

For mounts, I used EZ Brackets.

http://www.easybrackets.com/products/triumph_motorcycles.htm

These mounts allow you to remove the bags. Just unlock the bracket, and take off the bike. Takes maybe 4 seconds to do. There are stainless steel posts that remain on the fender stay and are hardly noticeable.

Edge also makes mounts (Ghost Brackets). I prefer the mounting hardware of the EZ Brackets.

Both our bikes have these brackets and bags. They've been on my wife's bike for three years now.

If you are considering these brackets, make sure you choose the correct post set for the bike. If you have a backrest, the mounting kit will have shorter posts.

I also put red rectangular reflectors on the side of each bag. They are off Yamaha's. I got them used for a few bucks each. The Yamaha reflectors are bolt on, with an indexing pin so they won't spin/move around.

HTH,

H.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are considering these brackets, make sure you choose the correct post set for the bike. If you have a backrest, the mounting kit will have shorter posts.

H.
You doliterally mean a driver seat backrest or are you referring to a sissy bar of which i will be installing later?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I was away.

I mean, the sissy bar. A rider's backrest will make no difference. The sissy bar mounting hardware mounts to the fender stay, and the posts for the EZ Brackets will be different. You can buy the posts separately from them as well and this gives you flexibility if you want to add the sissy bar at a later date.

HTH,

H.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts