Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of bidding on a pair of triumph saddlebags for the t-bird. Probably several other members are looking at the same pair? Sorry about that.
Anyway, the auction is just for the bags. Do I have to have the brackets on the sides to keep the bags out of the wheels and exhaust? If I need them does anyone know where I can get a pair? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yes, you need brackets to keep them off the wheels and exhaust. You can either make your own or buy a set that were made to go with the bags.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The Triumph bags are pretty poor quality, just so you know. The factory brackets are like hen's teeth to find, and very expensive if you do. If you will be using the bags just occasionally, a bungee cord will work to keep the bags off the wheels. Do some searching and you'll find that thread. If you are handy, you could make a set pretty easily from metal. There is also an aftermarket model I have seen, I think from New Zealand, that is different than the factory design, but serves the same purpose. I found some Bagman nylon bags, made back in the 80's or 90's by Vetter, and they were less than $50 delivered. There's currently a set of the soft Bagmans (Bagmen?) on ebay for $15, and I had a set identical to these back in the 80's with my other bike. They worked fine, but the Bagmans I have now are rigid, with a hard interior shell, and look better on the bike. They come up pretty often I think, and are probably better quality than the new nylon bags available today. Good luck, you won't get many responses or suggestions on this, if past thread searching is any indication.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a set of Tour Master's out of Dennis Kirk for my Adventurer. With the straps they give you I have mine attached to the rear signal & right behind the rear pegs no tire rub.
Corey

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for both the replies. Good info. Based on the advice I will skip the auction because there are no brackets with them. It's good to know that there are some options that will fit without brackets. I am somewhat handy but not with metals and I have no shop tools to do any bending, etc.

The bike I am getting (tomorrow!!) has one of those sissybar rear racks on it. The rack looks pretty small but maybe I can find a pack that can attach to it securly. I need to have some luggage capability for rain gear, books and maybe a jacket liner.

I guess I could post another thread but does anyone reading this one know what types of rear packs will fit the T-bird safely? Idealy one with quick on and off and a strap or two to throw it over my shoulder.

Oh, and I think I remember that New Zealand manufacturer. I ordered a set of engine guards for my tiger from them back in '05. I'll have to poke around here and see if I can find them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with others. Bought my Tbird with Triumph bags and brackets. The bags tend to go out of shape easily and they are an odd shape which is not the best for putting things in. I will live with them but have seen better. I would imagine there are plenty of ideas to keep bags off the sides besides aftermarket ones.
cheers
Murray:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
saddlbags

I have a set I used for one year, part #A9518003. They are like new, If you want more information you can pm me.
Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the Triumph bags for my Tbird and they fell apart in less than a year. Triumph said it was normal wear and tear! I now have a set or River Road bags that cost about $100. They are large enough for a gallon of milk.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have seen Cortech bags, and they look to be of decent quality for nylons. The Kuryakyn mini tour tail bag looks to be a nice size, but I have not seen one in the flesh. This might be a good option for the luggage rack bag, although cortech has those too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have brackets for early T-Bird

ericp,

I have a set of brackets for the early T-bird, and don't know what year they changed to the different brackets which I have on my '02, but if you're interested, $45 & shipping from 19382.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Saddlebag brackets should fit

ericp,

See that your T-Bird is a 95. If you're interested, the brackets should fit your T-Bird. They measure 12 3/4" from hole to hole. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone know how to mount these rails? I found one photo on the site that shows them connecting to the upper hole on the boss welded to the frame but the other connection point is obscurred. Can anyone tell me what the ends of the rails should connect to on a '95? Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great. thanks.
So one last time for posterity: The mounting distance from hole to hole on the bracket should match the distance from the upper hole on the flange/boss to the bolt of the pilion footrest, if i have this right?
Sorry to be such a newbie.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Throw over brackets

I have just modified some secondhand pannier brackets from a harley Dyna to fit my Adventurer by very simply bending as required to line up with the rear fender mounts and sourcing longer fixings with stainless acorn nuts on the outside. Turned sideways they don't look half as obtrusive as Triumph ones do,being made of smaller diameter tube. Tryed some cheap 50ltr bags over and under the saddle and with adjustment fit a treat, better under if carrying a passenger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I want to use some givi hard panniers. I don't like the Wingrack type and wanted the tubular rails. Apparently. these were never made, so I'll have to alter and existing set and see if I can get them to fit.

Rob

·
Registered
222 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts