Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
6,896 Posts
Hi Bob,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. :)

Could you be a more specific about what you mean? E.g. I understand "saddlebags" to be a pair of 'soft' (as in 'not rigid') that hang either side of the rear seat behind the rider, being joined together across the seat; if that's what you mean too, they lean against the rear spring on either side so don't need any "bracket", certainly Triumph never supplied one as standard.

Regards,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stuart
tubing that bolts to the top of the shock and goes back about a foot and bends down to the rear foot peg. This I think helps keep the bag off the wheel and give you something to tie on to. I think ??

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
somethink like your description is avalalble for the new "Hinkley" bonnies - but as Stuart says - the factory never offered them and i have never seen any aftermarket ones this side of the pond

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
The soft saddle bags that were on my T140 when I purchased it have no brackets and do indeed encroach into the wheel when going down the road. The wheel has chewed them up . I could definitely benefit from some brackets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
stuart
tubing that bolts to the top of the shock and goes back about a foot and bends down to the rear foot peg. This I think helps keep the bag off the wheel and give you something to tie on to. I think ??
Like the ones in the pic below? If yes then you need to buy these separately and Triumph, Motone and Tec Bike Parts all make them. Not sure if they will fit a 79 t140e though. Links:

Triumph Part # A9518221

https://www.motone.co.uk/motorcycle-parts-c26/triumph-bonneville-c25/street-cup-2017-now-c105/t100-t120-street-twin-lc-pannier-luggage-rails-pair-p2181

https://shop.tecbikeparts.com/products/pannier-rails

Attachments

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi howie1, I don't know of any made now. The pre OIF bag brackets won't fit our frames. They are very rare, but no matter to us.

Triumph made a touring T140ES which came with fairing & hard saddle bags. I've never seen one in real life. I don't know what those brackets actually looks likes.

I looked a photos of the old 60s brackets in books & online. I made a set from 1/4x1" aluminum bar & 1/8x1" bar from Ace Hardware. Was a lot of work & a bit of an experiment. But they worked good. I never really finished top brackets since it was good without them.

I got the saddle bags from Cycle Gear. Cut off the outer pockets as they hit turn signals or my wife's legs if put pockets to front. They are not very big. I discarded the throw over piece because when I used it the bags hit the wheel. I started out with just brackets to keep bags out of wheel, but that didn't work properly. So I made better brackets & mounted bags to the brackets with quick release hooks. I've never removed them, so that was a waste of time. I reinforced the bags with Masonite from Home depot. I had to make spacers for the top shock bolts to move brackets out. The left side on mine had brake rod in the way. You may have caliper or hose clearance issues. The left shock bolt spacer retarded the seat flipping open. I had to turn that down for clearance. Still won't open all the way.

I love having saddle bags though. My wife refused to wear a backpack anymore so I had to get some so she'd ride with me.

Here's a few photos.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Good morning

Try www.cyclegear.com or www.dowcopowersports.com

At Cycle Gear search saddle bag bracket. At Dow co look for Willie and Max products.
I prefer Willie and Max as when they started they were at all the local Swap Meets and Triumph guys. Guess they sold the company to Dow when I wasn't looking. If you purchase their universal brackets I would add an extra one to the passenger foot rest.
As far as the Bags if you are looking might I suggest the Willie and Max Standard Series Touring Saddle Bags. I believe the the Dow Co number is 58311-00 One of my partners used these on a T140V. They hold a Case of beer nicely. Also whatever bags you use you will need to rig up a tie down strap on the front of the bag to keep them from lifting in the wind.
You might be able to buy direct from Dow Co if not try J&P Cycle in Iowa. Still miss seeing John he was a real straight shooter that Passed away a couple of years ago.
One last thing whatever you purchase and whoever you purchase it from check on return policy should you not like it.

K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts