Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ended up getting a free set of toss over saddlemen saddlebags. Problem is without some sort of support they will end up rubbing on the tire. I could not find a definite answer from searching so does anyone know of a support bracket for a 03 speedmaster? the saddlemen universal has mixed reviews of fitment. I will get pictures tomorrow of the bags.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have had the same issue. Purchased set of cheap soft saddle bags & then found it difficult to stop them rubbing on the tyre without brackets/hardware (that I wanted to avoid as the panniers would only be used on multi night trips away). Yes the centre velcro secured under the seat (although the seat latch was where the velcro wanted to lay. So had to cut velcro around it).

Tried using occy straps from one bag to the other (back across the seat) - to effectively pull the bottom of each bag up (wing like) away from the tyre. But this was not what i considered a risk free option for a 4000km 8 day

Hardware brackets to fit the SM 05 were not easy to find & when i did they were not cheap.

Ended up biting the bullet & purchased a Ventura Mistral pack with hardware L brackets specific to the Speedmaster rails. Cost me AUD 400 all up.

Really spent a total of AUD 550 when i take into account the soft panniers, bungy straps & ratchet straps i tried & failed with earlier.

At least i now have a safe luggage solution for the big trip. Easy 15mins to take hardware off/on. Then the bag secures to the rack behind the rider almost like a back support or pillion.
Bag quick release buckles allows you to take the bag inside whenever you stop (has back pack straps as well). May not be a cheap alternative but much less risk / danger of tyre contact than what i was considering earlier.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1464731566.387283.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ebay'd a set that came off a 07 speedmaster. SHOULD fit but was only 37USD with shipping so not much of a loss if not. I will keep you all posted.

P.S. Being sick and sneezing into a full faced helmet on the highway is probably one of my worst experiences haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts