Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some saddle bags for my Bonnie. I do not want to mount them unless I am touring out of town, so I want to be able to remove them fairly easily and fit as much as I can in them. Some questions:

-What are the best dimensions for bags on the Bonnie? I don't want it to be so big it is in the way, but I want the biggest that will fit.
-What brackets are you using with your bags?
-Am I ruining the period look by using a hard case
like these or is this a good idea?

I appreciate your feedback and advice. :yayyy:

[ This message was edited by: TCL on 2007-03-25 17:26 ]

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think you should stand bach a few feet, I'm about to go on a rampage. Just bear in mind you are not the target, Triumph is.
To answer your question - you can't. You can't really have what you want. Alot of folk will post how they do this and they do that, but the fact is there is no factory answer and the third party stuff just doesn't cut it.
The Hepco's are huge. Huge in size, look and price
Leather lyke is uglier than samsonite luggage from 1963
The assortment of pannier rails all have a common ancestor in Rube Goldberg. None of this stuff is easy off if you want the rails off too. None of this looks appropriate on the bike. So what to do? I've got got Saddlemen cruise/slants on Thunderbike rails. They fit between the tail signals and the shocks so the bike doesn't get big assed. Ya see, that's a big issue no one discusses - most of the options fit outside the shocks and you look a whale going down the road. But the volume of the bags is not sufficient for a week trip. My large tank bag inhibits lock to lock turning of the handlbars (my hands hit the bag) so I moved it to the tail. I use a Joe Rocket Manta Ray magnetic tank bag for small do-dads.
Companies that make boating dry bags and now starting to make them in shapes other than cylindrical. I just got one that is rectangular and fits on the tail. You might consider something like that.
Anyway, I think Triumph let us down on this part of the bike. If they had solved it, the bike would truely approach 'Do Anything'. Do I have a right to complain? Na, I love this bike and this issue just presents a challenge.
Hey, I feel better now!
Sorry if I offended anyones choice in gear - I kinda wish I could justify (afford) the Hepco's. Go with them if you can.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Merlin. I agree with you on your diatribe. We have 50 different aftermarket taillights just for this bike, 50 different tank covers, 50 different mirror choices, but when it comes to bags, it's all a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You need some rails to keep the bags from damaging the bike or the tire damaging the bags. I use Triumph rails that came with the worthless Triumph leather bags. I don't worry too much about looks when I am going on a week trip. :-D I put the Cortech bags on with the tailbag and stuff em full. They have been tested at high speeds and passed with no problems. Does the ash-end look big--yeah, but bags do that. I leave the rails on all the time--don't mind the look, and I put my pistol rugs on them with a few tools inside when I'm just going a few hundred miles. The tank bag is the smallest one Cortech makes, and I don't want anything bigger.

Merlin, I wish you would tell us how you really feel about bonnie bags. :-D :-D

Anyway, here's a pic of the bike loaded to go on a trip, FWIW.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Funny you'd bring this up - I just ordered my luggage brackets and saddlebags. I'm going with the brackets from newbonneville.com - they're black powdercoated and barely noticeable when the bags are off, which is important to me since I love the simple, natural lines of the straight bonnie.

For bags I'm going with the Givi T-421 soft bags. They're a little on the big side - but they'll offer plenty of space and should still be safely above the pipes. They're 22L each in the compact form, and 33L each wen expanded. I'll post what I think after it all comes in and I've tried them out. The bags definitely don't fit the 1960s look, but they look pretty good, and I can take them off when I don't need them, so the bike can still look stunning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Triumph Saddlebags for a 2000 Triumph Sprint/955i

Trying to locate a replacement saddlebag for my Sprint. Original Triumph bag, left side. Saphire. Scraped up against a pole and I actually just need the top cover. I am told that I can pop the pins on the hinge and just replace the cover. Any suggestions on where to look, besides a dealer would be very appriciated. Just went through a horrible diovorce and I am trying to fix my baby on the cheap! I saw a few on Ebay but the color was red and orange etc.

Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Givi T-421 Saddle Bags

Hi There,

Do you have any photos with the bags mounted on your bike? Any trouble installing them?

Sean

Funny you'd bring this up - I just ordered my luggage brackets and saddlebags. I'm going with the brackets from newbonneville.com - they're black powdercoated and barely noticeable when the bags are off, which is important to me since I love the simple, natural lines of the straight bonnie.

For bags I'm going with the Givi T-421 soft bags. They're a little on the big side - but they'll offer plenty of space and should still be safely above the pipes. They're 22L each in the compact form, and 33L each wen expanded. I'll post what I think after it all comes in and I've tried them out. The bags definitely don't fit the 1960s look, but they look pretty good, and I can take them off when I don't need them, so the bike can still look stunning.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Sounds like you might be interested in the same sort of bags I've been looking at. Their makers call them various things, but I've taken to calling them horseshoe bags. Basically a combination seat bag and a pair of saddlebags, so that the parts that are on either side of the wheel are held apart by the center portion. The bike doesn't look like a traditional tourer when it's loaded, but it does look normal once you've dumped the gear in your motel/camp. The cheapest version I've found are the "Gears" brand at Motorcycle Superstore, but I've found several models at Twisted Throttle and elsewhere. I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these yet, but I plan on one prior to road trip season.

·
Registered
87 Posts
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/915/420/

I think burphel is thinking of these. No rack needed as there is an internal aluminum frame that keeps the bags off the wheels
That is sort of correct. There is a frame and some quick release hardware.

Here is the general breakdown of how it works:

Here is a short video shot at the Indy dealer Expo by WebBikeWorld:

1. Snap in the quick release arm.

2.Step 2: Slide the receiving sleeve of the pannier onto the quick release arm.

3.Step 3: Secure the Velcro flaps over the passenger seat.

4. Step 4: Connect the quick release buckle at the front end of each bag to the passenger footpeg mount.

5. Step 5: Ride like an M-F'r

·
Registered
424 Posts
That looks like a great idea. I also like the big bag that has two smaller bags on the side. I'm going to buy that one in the spring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you want to carry a lot of stuff for a long-range tour, Redbird's setup with the Cortechs is the way to go. I have the same sidebags with the MC Resources brackets to keep them off the wheel. However, I added a luan plywood frame to the brackets to make absolutely sure that the bags wouldn't rub on the wheel. Unfortunately, the Cortechs will make your bike look like it has a fat ass. For a more streamlined look, you've got to keep the bags between the shocks and the turn signals. The Tourmaster Cruiser II slant bags, size large, fit like they were made for the Bonnie. You can get them here; http://www.compacc.com/p/Tour-Master-Cruiser-II-Slant-Saddlebags. You can mount them with the yoke over or under the seat, and they have zippers for quick removal. They don't hold a lot -- certainly not enough for a trip, but for everyday stuff, like tools, jacket liners, and extra gloves, they're more than enough. This is how they look on my bike;

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will post pics soon as I am making a new version of it.. but essentially think of a staple made out of 1 1/2" by 1/8" bar. I put that over the seat with my saddle bags to act as a brace. I am now making one that fits under the seat. Cost-- $8.00

·
Registered
205 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts