Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has worked up a DIY organizer for the stock luggage? My Sprint is my daily driver, and I carry lots of miscellaneous stuff. Since the bags are essentially featureless caverns, I've been thinking of ways modify them to be more practical for my commute.

My first thoughts are some sort of small plastic box inside, kind of like a glovebox, for the insurance/registration paperwork, ear plugs, etc. Then I thought I'd figure out a tray if some sort for the other box. Something that would hold larger stuff securely.

Anyone have any ideas or examples?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Since you're a Texan, I'm guessing you'll be familiar with the Howard E. Butts chain of grocery stores... I use one of their wine bottle six-pack carriers with the handle cut off as an organizer in one of my saddlebags. They get beat up and need replacing every couple months, but they're useful for keeping my chain lube and oil and emergency water bottle, etc., etc., from rattling around and leaking. There's probably a heavier duty equivalent in plastic available at dollar store type places.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I used to use my Eagle Creek Medium Gear bags (don't have the bike anymore). They fit pretty well, but I don't think they make this size anymore; you could contact them to see.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It depends on how complicated you want them, and what you want to put in them.
I spent a very long time carving, sculpting & moulding (removable) packing case foam inserts to fit into the OEM case lids so that I can carry my gopro cameras and the misc accessory items for my failed summer trip.
They are designed for them to fit into 1 a case lid, and my 10" netbook, passport drive, and misc cables fit into an insert that fits into the top case lid. The inserts are covered & capped with 3mm fibreboard & 3mm sheet packing foam. Each case insert is retained in the lid with elastic clips/straps (similar to the OEM elastic straps) but the additional straps mount to the 4 case lid screws.
Each insert is designed to fit flush with the lip of the case lid, so leaving the rest of the volume of the body of each case for the regular items I may wish to carry

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy smokes, Pierre! That sounds awesome! Got a photo of your work? It is kind of overkill for my needs, but I'd like to see how it all worked out for you.

My first requirement is somewhere to put my paperwork and basic emergency stash. Then, I'd like some compartments for books, grocery bags, etc. Just something more practical than the big empty boxes I have now. The wine caddy idea sounds pretty good. I might look for some other sort of caddy thing at an office supply store.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Check Walmart for a small duffel/travel bag. I found a couple of small Eddie Bauer-branded overnight toiletries bags for under $15 each. I use one in my car for oil, flat fix, tool roll, etc. The fabric bag keeps things quiet and pieces/parts are not rolling about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts