Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this post with that while I do indeed love my Triumph, I know virtually nothing of its internal workings and certainly appreciate any help you can give me.

Today my bike wouldn't start. Yesterday I rode it to work after not riding it for two or three weeks (or more) and everything seemed fine except the tires were a little low.

This morning I intended to ride my bike to school and when I got on it wouldn't start. The first time it cranked, and putted a bit before dying. It has done this in the past when it's cold and it was in the low 40s so I thought that might be the problem, but when I tried again it just wouldn't turn. I think maybe two more times it did crank and I tried giving it a little throttle to no avail.

After I had decided I wasn't making it to school, a couple hours later when it warmed up I tried again. Same thing. Cranked once, but then wouldn't any more after that.

I just tried again after getting home again and it cranked and ran for maybe two seconds before dying. I checked to see if it had gas and it sloshed around in there so I have deduced there is gasoline in it. Beyond that, I'm helpless.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It could be your battery is low on charge. give it a charge or try connecting it to a car battery and see if it starts and runs. If the bike only had a short run after sitting for a while it wont have recharged the battery properly

·
Registered
347 Posts
If it's not cranking, there are likely two problems:

1. Battery (you might want to try charging it)
2. Starter motor

I'd be more inclined to take out the battery (under the seat) and charge it up, then see if it works fine. It might need replacing if it's old, but there may be an underlying problem that's causing it to run flat (see the charging system thread on the technical sticky).

Assuming you've not tinkered with anything before, to charge the battery:

1. Remove seat
2. Remove strap over the battery (if there is one)
3. Disconnect the negative (black) battery lead
4. Disconnect the positive (red) battery lead
5. Pull out the battery and charge it according to the charger's instructions
6. Reinstallation is the reverse of removal (i.e. put battery, connect positive lead, then negative) and try again.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
The battery can have internal shorts. If this happens, it will start when hooked to an external source of power, but it could stop running randomly and the battery will not hold a charge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it didn't start this morning, I jumped it and rode to school. Started fine after class but when I went to buy books it wouldn't start again. Had to get someone with some jumper cables to get me going again. I rode for a long while and took it to get washed and it seems like it's starting okay now, but it looks like I might be investing in a new battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts