Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Speed four (I bought it off "FuryFour") and for some reason only one of the headlights works on low beams and the other bulb barely works (emmits a dim light) on high beams. They are both new bulbs and he tells me it is probably the relay. Problem is, where is the relay located?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The relays for the lights are in a row of 3 under the seat next to the subframe rail. Off the top of my head, I think the first two of that group (closest to the battery) are the ones for the headlights.

·
Registered
88 Posts
first two have a relay in them. Third is if you want double headlights like on the new triples. However, be aware that you will need a different lens on your (left) headlight

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
If it's a relay, one can be had for about $7 at Radio Shack. (I found an automotive application with a tab which needed to be cut off to fit under the seat.) Hadn't thought about changing out lenses. Makes sense.

·
Registered
171 Posts
first two have a relay in them. Third is if you want double headlights like on the new triples. However, be aware that you will need a different lens on your (left) headlight

US Speed fours already have both headlights on, so no need to change any lens. The third relay is for ignition (I believe). It isn't a question of adding an extra relay, rather it is replacing the existing main and dip relays so that they switch both lights.

·
Registered
88 Posts
third one doesn't have anything in it in my motorcycle... that would mean that my motorcycle would have malfunctioning ignition which isn't the case (i hope ;))

·
Registered
171 Posts
No, third relay is a wired to the fall detection switch which cuts out the ignition if the bike is on its side.
This has nothing to with an ignition working properly or "malfunctioning" in normal operation.

The manual says that these 2 items were fitted after a certain VIN

·
Registered
88 Posts
No, third relay is a wired to the fall detection switch which cuts out the ignition if the bike is on its side.
This has nothing to with an ignition working properly or "malfunctioning" in normal operation.

The manual says that these 2 items were fitted after a certain VIN
hmm sounds handy. Where can i find that relay? is the relay itself a fall detector? will it cut out the engine when your making a sharp turn (and going really flat?)?

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
I seriously doubt it. If you are going around a corner, there's going to be a fair amount of centripetal force keeping whatever bits the sensor uses to figure out if you fell off straightened out a bit. There were some issues with Hondas, but only race applications with extremely high pegs (and riders with skills far beyond anything I will ever have) to cause any issues. I haven't heard of any other tip over switch causing a problem, and the Honda issue might just be urban myth.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well... might be an option to buy a relay... i'm not missing it nor am i planning on crashing.. but sure looks like a safety precaution that works better then that darned killswitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts