Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! Here's the latest. Last year was having charging issues so I replaced/upgraded the R/R, stator, and battery. Been running great/charging strongly ever since. Try to start it the other day, nothing. No lights, instruments, fuel pump,horn. Kill switch is in run position. Check battery w multimeter, 13v. Fuses in grey box all ok. I tried jumping it from the car, it started right up. brought the revs up a bit, checked voltage, it was charging w increase in rpm. Disconnect from car, dies. Thinking I read the battery voltage wrong, I pull battery & bring home to charge. Hook it up to charger, reads 13.0v, fully charged. I opened up kill switch today, that was clean and dry inside. Any ideas why it would start off the car but the battery is fully charged/good.? thx!

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
1) How did you jump-start it - cables connected directly across battery?
If so, your battery is problem
2) you say it was 'charging' when running - what was the voltage you measured?

To check the battery under load, measure the voltage with ignition and lights on.
Off-load 'resting' voltage is not valid check of status.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) How did you jump-start it - cables connected directly across battery?
If so, your battery is problem
2) you say it was 'charging' when running - what was the voltage you measured?

To check the battery under load, measure the voltage with ignition and lights on.
Off-load 'resting' voltage is not valid check of status.
Yes, connected directly battery to battery. Voltage dropped from 13.0 to .2v as soon as ignition/lights switched on. The fact that the battery charger was showing a fully charged battery was throwing me off. New battery time. thx!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts