Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the clutch cable on my 03 S4 is wearing where it passes over the radiator. It's already worn through through enough to see the metal cable. I have heard this is a problem with these bikes. I am going to replace the cable but don't want it to happen again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used a piece of rubber tubing. spray a little lubricant in the inside and slide it on the metal bracket.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Hey, I would try to zip-tie the cable up to something so that it wasn't rubbing on the radiator anymore. If you can't do that without kinking the cable, you could take a small piece (3 inches or so) of 1/4" or 3/8" fuel or vacuum hose and cut a slit down one side lengthwise. Then put that over the cable where it rubs. That has always worked for me in situations like that. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ifyou take the cable off and look at it, you'll see that it's probably not the cable you're seeing... the rubber has worn through to reveal a wound metal sheath protecting the cable. To test this, put your finger on the metal you're seeing and pull the clutch lever... you can't feel any movement, can you?

It sucks that the outer rubber cover wears through, but I don't think this is a dangerous condition unless the metal cover underneath gets corroded.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Do you still have the factory cable bracket? If so, you can tape the worn portion of the cable and then cover it with a short run of plastic wire loom cover, zip-tied in place at either end.

[ This message was edited by: B02S4 on 2006-11-21 18:48 ]

·
Registered
306 Posts
My cable had the same wear that you describe after 1000 miles. Someone on this forum recommended putting some plastic sheathing over the cable near the bracket. I tried that and it's been no problem now for 6000 miles. I got the sheathing at Pep Boys, a local auto parts store. It's 3/8" dia corrugated plastic with a split so you can just slip it on. Here's a pic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts