Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Speed Triple R with 18K miles occasionally refuses to restart after a short stop, i.e. a stop for gas, or if the engine is accidentally killed pulling away from a stop light. It will turn over once or twice, repeatedly but will not immediately fire up...it will restart given a five minute or so break. The battery is three years old and is always on a tender in-between rides. Battery voltage was 12.78 a couple of hours after today's ride. If the stop is longer than just a few minutes, i.e. for lunch, the bike will start right up. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like the intermittent-no-warm-start scourge, if your speedy still starts fine cold and hot (immediate restart after shut down). Been there (around 2011 when my speedy was 6 yrs old/15k miles) and I wasn't able to find a simple answer. Came to conclude this may be a symptom of aging charging/battery and cooling systems combined with an aging starter/sprag dealing with heat soak. I suspect the starter/sprag clutch heat soaks just after shut-down to a few minutes afterwards, when temperatures spike higher than when the motor is running with the water-pump and rad fan doing their thing. Assuming you've done the charging/starting system cable upgrade (see sticky) I'd start by measuring your stator output and replacing the 3-yr old battery.

That said I did all of the above, cleaned or replaced every switch and relay between the starter button and starter (starter button, kill switch, clutch switch, side-stand switch, starter and ECU relays), and eventually the problem mysteriously went away on its own. Did find a failing stator and low battery that I replaced. Did not replace starter or sprag, still the original 15 yr old units going strong. Keep us posted and keep that bottle of water handy for when you have to wait for speedy to cool off :rolleyes: before starting.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the intermittent-no-warm-start scourge, if your speedy still starts fine cold and hot (immediate restart after shut down). Been there (around 2011 when my speedy was 6 yrs old/15k miles) and I wasn't able to find a simple answer. Came to conclude this may be a symptom of aging charging/battery and cooling systems combined with an aging starter/sprag dealing with heat soak. I suspect the starter/sprag clutch heat soaks just after shut-down to a few minutes afterwards, when temperatures spike higher than when the motor is running with the water-pump and rad fan doing their thing. Assuming you've done the charging/starting system cable upgrade (see sticky) I'd start by measuring your stator output and replacing the 3-yr old battery.

That said I did all of the above, cleaned or replaced every switch and relay between the starter button and starter (starter button, kill switch, clutch switch, side-stand switch, starter and ECU relays), and eventually the problem mysteriously went away on its own. Did find a failing stator and low battery that I replaced. Did not replace starter or sprag, still the original 15 yr old units going strong. Keep us posted and keep that bottle of water handy for when you have to wait for speedy to cool off :rolleyes: before starting.
Thanks for the info...I'll start with a new battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts