Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m on the verge of getting rid of my beloved ST and getting a 1050 ST. A good mate of mine and I, a regular on here (POME1050) did a bit of a 'Journos test' on the Rocket 3, Daytona 675, an S3 with micron cans and an MVAgusta 910 Brutale. There was much wheelie pulling and peg scraping (I`m sure Richard will post some pics soon) and general hooliganism, as we had unlimited and unsupervised use of the bikes. After which I was leaning very heavily towards the MV, but can`t afford one so had the S3 as my second choice. If that wasn`t enough to convince me, I`ve had the pleasure of borrowing the black 'Triumph Australia' demo S3 for the last couple of days and I don`t want to give it back! I just have a few questions and before you say it, "No, I can`t be bothered to trawl through 3 years worth of old postings." So...

Any reliability issues with the 1050 S3?
Has anyone drilled out the rivets and gutted the standard cans?
What`s the best tailpack, throwovers and tank bag?
Any oil starvtion or clutch basket damage from wheelying?
Any brake problems?

All advice/opinions greatly recieved, bearing in mind, I`m not interested in 955 ST stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2006-11-19 05:41, welshrob wrote:

Any reliability issues with the 1050 S3?
None to speak of. Watch headstock bearings and clutch cables.
Has anyone drilled out the rivets and gutted the standard cans?
Yes. Click Me!
What`s the best tailpack, throwovers and tank bag?
I can't help you there, I'm a backpack man. Been lots of discussion on it though.
Any oil starvtion or clutch basket damage from wheelying?
None whatsoever. In fact, several of the top stunt bike riders are using the Speed Triple for this and other good reasons. Wheelie all day without fear.
Any brake problems?
That's a loaded question around here!

Summary of the brake issue:

When new the brakes are fantastic, and in fact Motorcycle Consumer News reported the shortest stopping distance they've ever tested. (Click here, then download the S3 v/s Buell PDF series) However, after time and use the lever travel increases, producing a "Mushy" feeling that many riders dislike. It's similar to the feeling you get when there is air in the brake system. There are several temporary fixes, including bleeding the brakes, pushing in the caliper pistons and pumping up the system, and tying the handle back overnight each night. These methods seem to work for one or two weeks at best. The official Triumph response is that it is a piston issue, and they have replaced the caliper pistons on many bikes with new, coated pistons. Some people have reported this fixes the issue, and some have reported no change. All new Speed Triples already have the new coated pistons. It's quite clear by now that it's a caliper issue of some kind. Some people have fitted Tokico calipers from a Suzuki GSXR and completely solved the problem. The saga continues.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, Crashmasterd, you were most helpful. I must admit, I didn`t think gutting the cans would be such a complicated affair! And No, we didn`t scrape the pegs on the S3 or the Brutale!
They had a demo 07 Tiger at the Triumph National rally last month. Despite being only 5`5" with short legs, I was able to touch the floor with tip toes. It has a much longer wheelbase than the S3 and long travel suspension, so it`s not going to handle as well as a an ST or S3 so there`s no way I`m getting rid of my Sprint for something that doesn`t have at least equal, if not better handling.

The brake issues seem to be the same ones affecting the 1050 Sprints. In fact I had them with my 955 too but mine were fixed under warranty and have been fine for 10000 km`s. Hopefully a brand new bike should be ok. Can`t decide between black or white, though...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Welshrob!

I don't think the S3 would make a long distance tourer for me. I like to carry a lot more than a bag pack or tank bag on longer rides. The saddlebag option is quite nice. That' why I like to have more than one bike, for different styles of riding.

There was much wheelie pulling and peg scraping (I`m sure Richard will post some pics soon) and general hooliganism, as we had unlimited and unsupervised use of the bikes

I still have not scraped pegs on mine I was just curious. On my 02 S3 I did, but the 05 S3 has a little more clearance plus I am hanging way off the seat.

And yes, Crashmastered did a very fine job with his reply. He is a very helpful and knowledgeable individual.

Ton Up! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Robbo, I'm not going to comment on the 1050, 'cos I haven't ridden one.

All I can say is don't sell the Sprint, just add the Speed Triple to the collection. Be careful though, Mrs Welshrob might nick it!

Mick

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
holy smokes, are me eyes deceiving me, or is welshrob really think'n of a speedy? :-D Robbo, git that sucker without 2nd thought, you won't regret it one bit. Would be nice to keep the Sprint too, but hell with it if ya can't! :-D I know you are already half crazy by most of yer posts, but be prepared to lose all sanity once ya own a speedy!!! :-D :-D :-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts