Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah ah, ok, a little bit of provocation here I suppose...

But... This would only be my second bike after a totally modified 'Bub Bonnie' (carries the Bub exhaust system).

I'm 6'3'' tall (185 pounds), I find the Bonnie has a seat that is too low for me. And I scrape my pegs too much with the Bonnie as well... I'm looking for a bike with more ground clearance.

As a second bike, I'm kind of scared of the S3. 130bhp v 95 for the Duc.

Am I a sissy or will the Duc be a more reasonable choice?

·
Registered
540 Posts
2 of my friends are brothers.One has an S3 and the other a Duke S2R.The Triple is obviously a lot faster.It's up to you.The S3 has individual looks and sounds and is an exciting bike.The S2R looks good and handles well,it is physically smaller so may not fit you.They are very different bikes.I would also expect the S3 to be more reliable and cheaper to service.I once owned an S3and adjusted from a Tbird no problem.Whilst the S3 is far more powerful than a Bonnie you will find that the handling,chassis and brakes of the S3 are so good that it will be easier to use.How much power you use is down to your right hand,although it is addictive.I would have another S3 tomorrow...

·
Registered
700 Posts
My old 1200 had 108hp before I bought my sppedy. The speedy is controlable, but if you're just looking for something highway cruise with then I wouldn't look either of these bikes. The S3 is not meant to just roll down the road. What are you wanting to do with this bike?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm 5'8" and the Monster feels cramped. Nice engine sound, though, but I'll keep my triple. Euro's right - neither is a great cruise-around-sedately bike, though they excel at both commuting and Stupid Biiker Tricks :-D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-12-13 12:04, Euro wrote:
My old 1200 had 108hp before I bought my sppedy. The speedy is controlable, but if you're just looking for something highway cruise with then I wouldn't look either of these bikes. The S3 is not meant to just roll down the road. What are you wanting to do with this bike?
Like I said, I scrape my pegs a lot with my Bonnie... I love the twisties, I'd like to drag my knees, on a track preferably, but I like to ride for a whole day, so I don't want to get a Daytona 675 for the moment... (Maybe if I move near a racetrack I will)

I'm interested in a sport-tourer as well (don't like the Sprint ST and don't really like the look of the ST3s neither). But can't find anything I really like in that category for the moment.

Therefore, it's between the S3 and the Monster for me. But if you have other suggestions...

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you don't want the Sprint ST, which is way more geared toward sport touring, then suck it up and the the S3. By a new one and you will gradually work up to a full hand of throttle. you will be so happy you did. Although if you had to ask you may be a sissy. Buy a S3 and cure that once and for all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Max, you can sport-tour on any bike, it's just a matter of how much ingenuity you've got and how much you're willing to sacrifice long-distance comfort. I travelled 4,000 miles on my Speed Triple over a period of two weeks recently and while there were times that I wished I had a more comfortable bike, overall I was very pleased with the Triumph and plan to do similar trips in the future. I can't pass judgement on the S2R or offer you any advice about the suitability of it for what you want to do, but I know that people have travelled long distances on Monsters too. As for the controlability of the power between the two bikes, I don't think that should be a significant factor in your choice. Either bike can get you in trouble in a hurry if you don't respect them and either bike can be a total pu$$y-cat; it's really up to the rider. Judgement and maturity count for more than skill in staying safe.

[ This message was edited by: scratch on 2006-12-13 13:02 ]

·
Registered
224 Posts
To me, you just described an SV1000 or a older VFR. Both bikes will do the track stuff and the touring stuff combo better than an S3 or S2R.

·
Registered
354 Posts
6' 3" 235 lbs. The duc was out of contention the first time I sat on it. It was like a pocket bike. The S3 was a natural fit and I do not get cramped even on longer rides.

I wouldn't be scared of the HP. Give yourself the break in period to learn it and let it rip.

One other thing - check the maintenance on the Duc. Yikes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was looking at the s2r and S3 myself. I'm not crazy about air cooled bikes, and the S2r is also only a 2 valve head.

In my opinion look at the torque numbers. The S3 can be gagged down and cruise with much less shifting if it is desired. 79 ft/lb vs. about 62.

I really like V twins, but the triple is so unique. I say take a test ride on both, and see which you like better.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree. I went from a 1978 Suzuki GS750 with 67 hp (i believe) to the speed triple (01 has 108) and I had no problems adjusting. I'm a little over 6'4 260, and the speed triple fits me great. I was looking at an s2r1000 and an s4r for a number of months until I sat on one. They are smaller and less comfortable although the stock seat was pretty cushy on the ducs :) I would go with the Triumph if I were you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
On 2006-12-13 13:01, scratch wrote:
Either bike can get you in trouble in a hurry if you don't respect them and either bike can be a total pu$$y-cat; it's really up to the rider. Judgement and maturity count for more than skill in staying safe.
I couldn't have said it any better.....this is soooo true.

JOHN

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hey, Golf - I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like the VFR would be perfect.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea, I went from a honda nighthawk 750 wt 74 horse to the 01' triple wt 108. the triple definitelly startles you with the power at first but it's very managable and easy to tame. I'm 6' at 200lbs and the bike fits perfect.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2006-12-13 13:03, Golfinc wrote:
To me, you just described an SV1000 or a older VFR. Both bikes will do the track stuff and the touring stuff combo better than an S3 or S2R.
SV1000 will do the track stuff and the touring stuff combo better than an S3 or S2R? You sure?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just like the Sportster is for Harley, the Monster is Ducati's girl-bike. It is an excellent buy for your wife/girlfriend/mistress.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts