Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would try to get people's opinions about where they like their preload, etc on these S3's. Please include your weight and bike's model year. Thanks!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gave the preload rear about 6 turns extra. The in and out going don't know how many turns.

Front is depending on the weather and the surface I'm riding on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On 2007-02-26 14:34, 203MPH wrote:
Gave the preload rear about 6 turns extra. The in and out going don't know how many turns.
6 Turns!?!? How much sag did you measure before and after?

·
Registered
692 Posts
160 Lbs.
I backed out the front preload to 6 lines showing, backed off the rebound also.

I softend the rear preload some also.
It still needs some balancing, I will have a pro do it asap.

Sportrider magazine had some recommended settings, I thought they were kidding, It was like riding a fence.
It was too stiff even for the track at my weight, I like it a tad more plush when I'm touring,
I have a 2 mile twisty brick road to test on, I like testing it out on that bumpy road, I get all the suspension info I need quickly.

Sportrider magazine suspension settings

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've got about 7 threads showing on the preload on the rear shock. I've got 5 lines showing on the front preload.
Compression and rebound are at full soft on both ends.
I weigh 185. And the bike STILL beats me to death. However, the roads where I live are very bad (as in rough).
The rear shock has waaay too much high speed compression in my opinion. I've ordered a Wilbers shock-it has adjustable high AND low speed compression. I can't wait!! Oh, and one thing I've noticed, the rear shock rides smoother with MORE preload, which is kind of opposite of what you'd expect.......

·
Registered
97 Posts
5 lines on the front, wow. I must be some kind of squid who likes everything firm, I only have one showing. The back of mine is cranked up pretty tight too. The only thing I can ***** about is how the rear end rebounds off expansion joints on the highway (I think its high speed compression dampening issues). A stiff rear makes it easy to wheelie and is better 2up. My method was to just keep making small changes, to just the front or the back not both at once. It took a little while to dial it in.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I have given up on the stock suspension. :-D

Adjusted sag and fiddled with the comp/rebound settings for forever but have still not managed to find a setup I would be satisfied with.

I would like a firm ride, with the bike still eating up bumps in a satisfactory manner. It seems that either I get the firm ride I am after, but have the bike jolting from bumps or a soft rocking horse ride that is ridiculous on braking and way too sluggish/wobbly overall.
:???:

I guess I would need to shop for different springs/cartridges to the front and a replacement shock for the rear, but have not yet scraped the $ together.

Has anyone given any replacement cartridges a try? At least Matris seems to offer these for the Speedy:
http://www.carpimoto.com/...Triumph_Speed_Triple_1050.htm

[ This message was edited by: Martin_R on 2007-02-27 07:13 ]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Steve Phillips at RaceComp in AUS is putting Ohlins shocks and OZ forged wheels on his 1050 Speed Triple.
CheapBastard is about to mount new aftermarket progressive springs to his Speed Triple.

We should soon have their opinions of these products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts