Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase an 03 S3. I bought a trident stubby can for it and she is backfiring really bad on deceleration while in gear. I know that remapping is necessary but what I dont understand Is ... Does a power commander by itself fix the problem or ? I dont understand completly what a power commander does and why I may or may not want it. The bike has plenty of power for me. I dont want to spend 300$ just for a few more ponys. I just want my machine to run as intended and smoothly. Any advice from experiance is greatly appreciated. thanks..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your new cans most likely are causing your ride to run (too) lean. I've read this discussion for years here. Add more fuel to the air that is rushing in due to the new cans that allow much more air flow. My 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your new cans most likely are causing your ride to run (too) lean. I've read this discussion for years here. Add more fuel to the air that is rushing in due to the new cans that allow much more air flow. My 2 cents. Good luck.
I thought It would be running too rich with fuel? Still I dont understand what the power commander does? Is it a plug n play type thing that doesnt require custom mapping? Any advice on that note?

·
Registered
466 Posts
A Power Commander intercepts the signal between the ECU and the injector that turns the injector on and off. It allows you to adjust how long the injector is on, and flowing fuel, at different engine speeds and loads. A map can be downloaded into the PC, or it can be custom mapped for your needs.

Popping on deceleration can be caused by being too rich, or too lean. Lean normally has many smaller pops, and rich normally has one or two big BANGS. This doesn't mean that the entire map is rich or lean, just the parts that control fueling while engine braking.

Secondary air injection (SAI, and many other names) can also be the cause of popping on decel. It can be disabled or mapped around.

More than likely, you can take your bike back to the dealer and have them adjust or replace the map in your ECU with something that does not pop.

I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts