Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should I sell my VRod for a S3??

Stopped into my local dealer and they have four 2008 Speed Triples for $9499. Been looking at them for awhile but always end up buying something else. So my question, would you trade in a 2006 Vrod for 10k (has custom paint and lots of goodies) for the s3?.......I've got the itch but not sure I should scratch it...appreciate your "unbiased" opinions :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Umm... Yes.

But don't take my word for it, test ride one and see for yourself. You will likely find that the torque on speedy is similar to the rod. The speedy is much lighter than the rod, so handling should be easier. It's going to be better in the twisties than the rod.

Zip

·
Registered
299 Posts
Run fast from that Vrod POS. I'm not bashing HD. But my brother had an 05 Vrod A model. Bought it brand new and from day 2 it was in the shop at least every 10 days leaking antifreeze, oil or just running like dog shiat. Engine covers not sitting flush. Clutch fluid completely drained overnight on Day 1. Not to mention it handles like a piece of ****. I broke the bike in while he was in the Army. Put over 2000 miles on it. It does have really good power and torque but is extremely uncomfortable. Your locked into one spot and there is no moving around. Just a fart on the seat feels like your going to #2 yourself literally. Not to mention the exhaust pipes are horrible and you have to ride with your inner heal on the outside of the right control just not to burn your calf on every ride.

I wouldn't even take a Vrod for free. Go for the S3 all the way.

My brother actually lost about 5k on a trade in for a brand new 05' Thruxton leftover and he was so happy giving them the keys.

Just one mans thought on riding it and basically owning it for 2000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
to be completely honest, ive never ridden a vrod, however i do own a s3 and a HD. comparing the dealerships alone, i would have to simply say go with the s3. when i walk into the triumph dealership, i feel welcomed....and when i have a question either at the parts department or the service dept, i always get honest, no ******** answers.
when i go into any HD dealership, i feel like everyone there is bothered if i ask a question. and the service/parts dept is seemingly full of employees with big heads and EVERYTHING is overpriced.

bottom line, test ride the speedy, decide on the bike that you enjoy most. but i would definitely take the dealerships into consideration(if you intend to take the bike in for servicing)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I got a good ride on a Vrod a few years back. It was pretty nice.....for a cruiser.:p

Ya just gotta take a test ride on a Speed Triple though. That's the best way to see what the fuss we make of the Speed Triple is all about.:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Two Different Worlds...

A Vrod and a Speed Triple aren't even from the same planet. You have to decide what kind of riding you like to do and make your own decision. This is obviously a biased site and I doubt if many here have ever taken a Vrod for a ride. I certainly haven't nor do I plan to. Not my style of bike.

I can understand a Ducati/Speedy question but Vrod/Speedy? Man, you must really be questioning what it is you want a bike to do. You arrive at a destination on those two bikes in a very different way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not concerned about reliability, Rod has been more reliable then my old CBR600rr! Real issue for me is I might not be able to test drive first as bikes are going fast and I'm located in snow country..hmmmm

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sell or trade. Get a Speed 3. It won't disapoint. And you will still look kool, maybe kooler. :cool: Don't be surprised if some asian chick wants to be photographed naked on it. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Plan on purchasing the S3 if it's still there on Fri (much needed vacation this week). And Skank, already have the asian wife :)

Now how will I spend the $1250 I have available for accessories...

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you like driving the motorcycle equivalent of a tractor, go for the hog. I've had several HD's even rebuilt one down to the last nut and bolt and customized one. They are nice to look at, lots of flash. They sound good. Ok on the highway. If twisting roads is your thing, they ride like crap (this is relative I know). Oh and they leak. Really expensive parts.

So, I'm sure the Harley guys will flame me for this. For my money almost any motorcycle built after the 1990's is better engineered. I would not go back to one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
where you located, looking for 08 myself? thanks

Stopped into my local dealer and they have four 2008 Speed Triples for $9499. Been looking at them for awhile but always end up buying something else. So my question, would you trade in a 2006 Vrod for 10k (has custom paint and lots of goodies) for the s3?.......I've got the itch but not sure I should scratch it...appreciate your "unbiased" opinions :)

where you located, looking for 08 myself? thanks
1250 in accessories, thought it was 750 or 3.9%? did they change it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry, $1250 includs $difference with my trade. Located at Motoprimo in Lakeville, MN. Have 3 available (bl, or, wh) and asking $9499 (includes $750 from triumph). Talked them down to $9099....great deal for someone. Wife talked me into another bike so passing this time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
sorry, $1250 includs $difference with my trade. Located at Motoprimo in Lakeville, MN. Have 3 available (bl, or, wh) and asking $9499 (includes $750 from triumph). Talked them down to $9099....great deal for someone. Wife talked me into another bike so passing this time.
So what bike does the wife want?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
put a deposit down on a BMW K1300S. Will be easier to ride longer (>500 miles) and corbin makes a kick butt seat with rear pillion for the wife...S3 will have to wait a few more years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.