Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

S3 for me?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  TonUp 
G
#1 ·
Hi all, my first post. howdy. :cool:

I'm here because I have a jones for a Speed Triple and wanted to ask for opinions... I only have time, space, money for one dedicated street bike in the garage. The current ride is an '04 vstrom 650. Had it a couple years and it has been a fantastic bike. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but just plain good for any kind of riding you want to do. Good a bike as it's been, I just get the itch every so often. I'm sure y'all can relate.

I've never even ridden an S3, just sat on a few at the shop, but they seem relatively comfortable. I think I could work with it. I have ridden an old 955 Sprint and loved the motor and the sound. The S3 attraction is purely physical. I just love the look of the thing, both the new style and pre '05's. I also wouldn't mind having ass-stomping power once again.

Obvious downsides are related to lack of utilility. Not a lot of places to store or carry stuff. No wind protection. Not great gas mileage/range. Except for mileage, these can be overcome to some degree but will it be enough to make this a good everyday bike. I could go back to soft bags and tank bag. heated grips and, if necessary, some kind of generic bar-mount windshield for the cold commute months. Are there any luggage racks available? I'm afraid I'll end up wanting to kick myself in the ass over this as soon as I go on my first long haul..

So, in a nutshell, anybody live with their speed triple as commuter/tourer/etc? Tell me what you think. thoughts, advice, warnings, encouragments appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Answer to your dlima: The new Tiger, a blend of S3 and Vstrom. The exciting motor of the S3 and the practicality of the VStrom. :-D

#3 ·
I commute almost 80 miles round trip on mine in decent weather and it does the job.....however I don't carry a lot of stuff. I have a quick detach tank bag that holds keys, wallet, phone, extra gloves, etc but that's about it. The same mount will handle a much larger bag as well.

SV motech bags here

Coming from the vstrom I'm sure you'll be wanting in the cargo dept. There are some who have done some touring on theirs, though it may not be practical when you want to secure your gear outside the workplace all day.

touring on triples thread

The one other resounding note you'll hear is that the factory tires (while sticking like glue) wear pretty darn fast.

I wanted more cargo when I made my purchase, but I'm glad the lust for the S3 took over. :-D

#5 ·
I'm right there with OKCTriple, it sounds like you are screamin' for a Tiger. Quite frankly, utility isnt the Speed Triples strong point and if you arent content with a tankbag and/or a backpack I get the sense that heavily augmenting the S3 to make it serve duty as a gear carrying all rounder will just be a headache.

I dont know what you could possibly do to make the S3 wind friendly, the darn thing is just too nekkid, you can 2 up if your pillion is young, adventurous and a petite thing.

I dunno..bar mounted wind deflector.. It's like buying a Miata to go and pick up lumber..you should've gotten the F-150 although you certainly can put wood in the miata if you put the roof down..

You have a bit of a dilemma and I sympathize, you love the look and the experience it offers you but if you have a strict criteria for utility and carrying capacity it sorely falls short in this department.

Def check out the new Tiger or Sprint if you've gotta carry, need wind protection, want the triple lump and desire an all weather ride..

If you just wanna grin and pick the junebugs out your teeth get the S3..and a backpack leave the kitchen sink at home.

#7 ·
Lewis

If you can only have one bike, how can it not be an S3? I just bought the '07 S3 and I can't believe I ever owned anything else! I would strap a friggin' suitcase to my back before I'd buy anything else! Seriously though, if you really NEED to carry a lot of *****, you'll be happier with something else. However, if you can fit your stuff in a backpack and a tank bag, go directly to the dealership and buy an S3 right now!!!

#8 ·
On 2006-11-12 21:28, ddlewis wrote:
I'm here because I have a jones for a Speed Triple and wanted to ask for opinions...
Obvious downsides are related to lack of utilility. Not a lot of places to store or carry stuff. No wind protection.
I could go back to soft bags and tank bag. heated grips and, if necessary, some kind of generic bar-mount windshield for the cold commute months. Are there any luggage racks available? I'm afraid I'll end up wanting to kick myself in the ass over this as soon as I go on my first long haul..
So, in a nutshell, anybody live with their speed triple as commuter/tourer/etc? Tell me what you think. thoughts, advice, warnings, encouragments appreciated.
Sounds to me like you want a Sprint ST..

#11 ·
Hey ddlewis,

depends how much you gonna carry, if it's back pack size, go the S3, if touring is something you do only occasionally you can get a tank bag or a tail bag. If you commute some serious distance every day, say more than 20 miles and in horror weather get a bike with a fairing like a tiger or ST.

#12 ·
I got my '06 S3 about a month ago, and the first thing I did was to modify my Tourmaster magnetic tank bag to fit on the back of the seat. The handle of the bag hooks around the T-handle on the back of the seat, and I sewed a couple of clips on the flaps of the bag. I put some 5mm wing bolts through these clips, and right into the inserts on the seat for the optional seatback cover. the bag is big enough to carry a full-face helmet, goes on and off in about 20 secs, and is rock solid. I can take the same bag and throw it my old Yamaha.
As for mileage, if I'm nice and smooth, I get low 40s, if I ride like a jerk, upper 30s. Lack of fairings is not an issue below 100 for me, but then again, I need all the wind I can get to keep from sweating my n*ts off down here in in humid flatlands :-D
Take the plunge...you won't regret it!!!

G
#13 ·
I have had an 07 S3 for 3 weeks, I am currently living and working in rural Wales and intend using it all through the winter.
I previously had a Fazer 6 which was decent at everything and had a modicom of weather protection.

I got the S3 with the tail tidy and fly screen / hugger and I also got a Ventura sports rack fitted which not only removes easily, it also turns around to sit above the pillion seat keeping the weight within the bike wheel. With a pillion it gives security and a grab rail. It also takes a range of venturabe packs and the rack can be extended to take a large pack and still maintain the rack.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/english/products/products.htm

On several journeys to work I have got my back and my helmet covered in road dirt due to the tail tidy and I am only getting 100 miles or so before the fuel light comes on and that is when I am running it in.

You know what though ??

I really don't care, it is the most amazing looking and (now that I have unliocked 6k rpm) the most mental, lunatic beastly and outstanding bike I have ridden.

I would have no qualms about doing 300 miles on this, and I will be, including taking tent and camping gear. Yes the sprint and the tiger are more practical but the S3 is just another world, all your practicalities will fade away into pure unadulterated joy at the purchase you have just made.

go for it

shaggy :cool:

#15 ·
S3 is the wrong bike for you. Sounds like you need some protection from the elements and to carry stuff.
There are many fine bikes that will do this for you - just not what the S3 is intended for.

If you wanted to stay with Triumph I would go the S/T route.
Pull off the bags and get wild in the twisties or put them on and haul stuff. With the cold you have up there and only one bike to do it all this is what I would do.

Don't get the wrong the S3 is stupid amounts of fun to just ride the mountains on but you need more than that.

#16 ·
I love mine. It's the most enjoyable bike I've ever owned, and riding it is a pleasure, every time, whether it's around town or on the back roads. The engine is pure magic, the seating position is just right, it handles amazingly well and will keep up with everything out there if ridden right.

Sadly, if I could only have one bike, I'll admit it wouldn't be the Speed Triple. I need to carry stuff occasionally, and in addition to being an added expense and effort, the notion of fitting bags to the thing just defeats the purpose and spoils the lines. I'd go for a Sprint instead (I've seen a tricked-out Sprint - I could live with that!), or more likely, the 1400 Concours.

I'm extremely lucky to be able to have more than one bike, though, and as long as I am able to have at least two, one of 'em will be a Speed Triple.

[ This message was edited by: R100Pilot on 2006-11-13 13:15 ]

#17 ·
On 2006-11-13 08:07, PoolyTriple wrote:
I have had an 07 S3 for 3 weeks, I am currently living and working in rural Wales and intend using it all through the winter.
I previously had a Fazer 6 which was decent at everything and had a modicom of weather protection.
go for it

shaggy :cool:
Nice one - I live in North Wales and just love thrashing around the twisties on my S3 after being away from bikes for the past 7 years. Have a 3000m trip planned for the summer through the French Alps and Germany, with a climbing rucksack that hugs your back you don't need panniers :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.