Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are downright dangerous. When wet they are slick like ice. They are so unsafe it amazes me Triumph can actually use them.

Fine when dry. But they will fail just when needed the most. Rain and you are weighting that inside peg as you setup for the turn.... slip and crash.

A die grinder can cut some points into them so your boot does not slip off.

Has anyone found a replacement?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Edmund burke

I love the edmund burke quote. Quite germane given our politically correct nauseatingly feminine political culture.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is what i am thinking. i got Alpine Stars 101's and havent ever had a problem - wet or dry.
I don't doubt that they work for you. However it could come down to what we are attempting to do in wet conditions.

I just got back from a Lee Parks level 2 class. It rained on us a bit. Lee and everyone else felt that for high performance riding in wet weather, they were unsafe. And the boot types pretty much went across the board (Alpine's too). It does seem to be a trend as one of the Duck's had the same problem.

Shameless bragging rights photo included. I'm the ape on the left and in his own words "I'm built like a wiener dog" on the right.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Spray on solution

I roughed mine up with some sand paper and then hit them with some spray on truck bed liner. The product is made by Dupli-Color and it comes out thick but dries nicely and gives some grip.

Better than stock but I think the boots have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
After my first track day, the biggest problem I had with the Triple was the pegs. Really, the position of the rear set kindof sucked. It was really hard for me to stay on my toes, and I drug the toe of my boots as often as I drug my knee. I would really like to try an adjustable rear set and see if I could optimize the riding position, but they are so pricey.
Catching a foot on the ground too hard could be VERY dangerous. Maybe my size 12s are just too big??

·
Registered
80 Posts
They are downright dangerous. When wet they are slick like ice. They are so unsafe it amazes me Triumph can actually use them.

Fine when dry. But they will fail just when needed the most. Rain and you are weighting that inside peg as you setup for the turn.... slip and crash.

I totally agree - very slippery when wet. I was thinking of going the whole hog & go Rizoma, but pretty pricey thou.

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/ProdottiSport.cfm?ID_categoria=62&firstLevelIndex=9&IDSez=2

·
Registered
379 Posts
go with the traction series pegs, they were made to solve this problem and are very nice! great grip and they look great

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another who went w/ Brit Customs pegs

Glad to see I wasn't the only one. I've set up for a couple left turns only to have my boot slide laterally off the peg. So, I just had my first ride with the British Customs pegs. The pattern doesn't look all the aggressive, but it solved the problem of the slippery stockers.

Those Rizomas sure do look nice though. I had a set of Acculign rearsets on an Aprilia that were pretty nice, but the economy was much better then.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I got a set of Giles for $300 and fixed the problem for good. There are other makes out there that are just as god but i got a good deal on these.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran into the same deal when riding in the rain last weekend. Fine up to a point, but once there soaked, my feet kept slipping off. Almost lost a turn because of it.

Riding with SIDI soft soled boots, so I know there not the problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have the pegs mounted. To feel them with your hands you wouldn't expect them to have that much more grip then the stock pegs, but on sitting on it and trying to move my feet around they seem to work alot better then the stock pegs. Raining here now so have to wait a few days to test them on the roads.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Have the pegs mounted. To feel them with your hands you wouldn't expect them to have that much more grip then the stock pegs, but on sitting on it and trying to move my feet around they seem to work alot better then the stock pegs. Raining here now so have to wait a few days to test them on the roads.
What finish did you go with on the traction series pegs??? let us know how they work....post some pics

·
Registered
361 Posts
why spend the money on aftermarket pegs when all you gotta do is take a dremel circular blade and cut short little grooves in the ribs on the stock pegs?

if you dont have a dremel, get one...damn handy tool...prob cost the same as extra pegs.

I just cut grooves into my stockers and theyre WAY way way more grippy. I cut them so that my boot can still slide for and aft but not side to side.
Looks pretty good and even IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts