Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in several Triumph jackets, one leather (the Lennox), and the others textile (Balfour, Raptor #2). While I'd like to have both a leather and a textile one, initially I'll only be able to afford one or the other and since it's pretty warm in Austin TX, I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable most times of the year in textile.

Not being familiar with textile jackets, am I right in assuming leather will offer better protection?

Also, does anyone know the difference between some of the textiles, i.e. 500D, 1000D, Hitena? Are some more protective than others?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm interested in several Triumph jackets, one leather (the Lennox), and the others textile (Balfour, Raptor #2). While I'd like to have both a leather and a textile one, initially I'll only be able to afford one or the other and since it's pretty warm in Austin TX, I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable most times of the year in textile.

Not being familiar with textile jackets, am I right in assuming leather will offer better protection?

Also, does anyone know the difference between some of the textiles, i.e. 500D, 1000D, Hitena? Are some more protective than others?
Some of the textile jackets have pretty good armor in them. Joe Rocket has some pretty good ones..I think someone mentioned the newenough website for good deals.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hi. i have both the paddock retro racer textile and the lennox jacket both from triumph. both offer shoulder and elbow protection. the textile offers a liner and waterproof qualitites. for this reason i choose the textile for my highway commutes and the leather lennox jacket is more for city riding and/or just to wear out. pm me if you would like more info about either one of these jackets. by the way, the quality of the jackets from triumph is second to none imho.-keith

·
Registered
34 Posts
my 2cents

I have the Rochester - a textile vented jacket that I wear all summer long in scorching hot central Arkansas - and the leather Hawk jacket that I'm wearing this winter. Both are excellent they essentially have the same high quality elbow and shoulder pads and a back pad to protect in case of a skid. not all triumph jackets come with the back pad - but most of them have the elbow and shoulder pads - though the ones that don't come with the back pad usually have the pocket for it - you just have to buy the pad separately if you want it.

I tried all of the jackets on at the store and went with the textile vented first - then saved for the leather. I liked the paddock - but they didn't have my size and I was too impatient to wait. I don't think the red retro jacket had a back pad.

I also have an offbrand vented jacket - and the triumph pads are far better made than the ones in the off brand and the price difference really isn't much if you are looking at the better quality brands.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keithk & Voigtlanderr2 - thanks a lot for the helpful info, and I'm glad you guys are happy with Triumph's quality.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I just got the Balfour. It looks and feels great, well made. I got it for summer so the 500 weight textile seemed better than the 1000 weight of the Newham. There are also torso and sleeve vents that zipper. I am a US suit/blazer size 46 Long and I got the US sized 52; it just fits, snug on arms. Definitely cannot get a bulky hoodie under but there is a zip out lining included.

I got it from Detroit Triumph for $129 plus $12 shipping. Arrived quickly and in perfect shape. Everyone else is $199 plus more for shipping. Thanks Detroit Triumph-

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have been using the Raptor 2 for a couple of years now. With the liner removed, it is very comfortable on even the hottest Texas days and seems to have some quality well placed armor. I have yet to crash test it and hope it stays that way. On colder days with the windbreaker liner installed, it gets down right cold as the liner chills up next to your body. Looking for something a little warmer for the realitively few cold days I ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts