Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I bought my Bonnie Black in August '06 and now have over 4k miles

I keep it under a hanging tarp out back. So, it's out of the way of most of the elements, but not completely.

Here are my questions:

1. The bolts connecting the exhaust to the manifold are rusty. Is this normal. Anything i should do about this?

2. My rear disc has a little rust on it - should I steel wool it? Something else?

3. My chain has a little rust on it - will lubing it and riding take care of that?

thanks. this is my first bike and I LOVE it (I did put 4k miles on it in about as many months) I want it to last a god long time.

:???:

·
Registered
426 Posts
All very routine, though a bit annoying, eh?
I leave the disc alone, wax the chain.
Now the header bolts, they're replaceable with stainless and the job surely must be easier to do before they get completely rusted in so I'd research that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Replace the exhaust bolts with Stainless steel ones. Take one off the machine and go to a local "Big Box" hardware store or Auto Parts supplier and match them. Don't forget S/S washers.

Rust on disc. Wash and dry the bike. While at the store(s) above pick-up VERY FINE emery cloth. I'm thinking around 800 to 600 grit and gently make little swirls on the disc. CLEAN IT WELL with a dry clean cloth when you are done. You may use water and wet sand the disc but no other lubricants please, and I can't emphasize enough for your safety to clean the disc very well after you are finished.

Rust on the chain. Get into a regular chain inspection/adjustment/ lubricating regimen. Put the bike on the centre stand (if equipped) or shop jack (if you have one) or lubricate the chain, push it forward a few feet, lube some more and repeat. If the rust is just surface rust this should take care of it.

If it is REALLY rusty it's toast and I would replace it. To do it properly put a drop on each of the four corners of each link that houses the internal "O" ring. Thats all you need. Oil splash from these areas will look after the roller portion.

Repeat....."I shall lube my chain on a regular basis" (Say it to yourself, not out loud in line at a burger joint). :hammer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice - you guys are always so helpful.

Just so you know, I don't have a ctr stand, but I do have one of those ball bearing things for the back wheel. I had (had) been lubricating once a week, up until the last month or so when it was just too cold to ride. I think. w/ the ice storms over the past few weeks the bike got wetter than it should've.

Anyway, great advice - thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Go to Sears and get the motorcycle jack. $70.00 well spent.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Rust is a way of life on all Bone's.Just gotta stay on top of it. Your (lean-too) isnt the best protection. Watch out for road salt as well winter. Harbor freight has a nice jack on sale this week- $59. I got a sears one given t ome. Was a piece of junk when I got it. Called them & they sent all the stuff necessary ro make it work for free. Big rust areas- fender supports, bolts cable adjusters, oil drain tube carb tops, & all the cheap chrome stuff on the girl. The rotors arent a big deal- usually only on the edge. I am in Fla & garage kept. The salt air reasks havoc on her. Just keep wipin down w/ a coated rag after rides. Still gotta love the bike!! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts