Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have rust all over the poor Bonnies weel rims...whats the best way to get rid of this with out doing to much damage to the rims...The lady who had thîs bike before me left it out side all winter never cleaned it i think....poor bike...
Well she is in good hands now...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Give them a good clean with a scouring pad, hopefully the rust will only be pin pricks through the chrome and will look much worse than it actually is. Chrome is extremely hard, so you should not damage it with a scouring pad. Then just keep them clean and give them a wipe after washing with WD40.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help lads just finished there was some big bits of rust but the work out was good....so was the beer...she looks a lot better now....

·
Registered
495 Posts
the really crappy part of rust on the rims is the freakin pits that are causing the rust. yup meeee toooo and i have been on a number of forums and well - sucks to be us. there is no cure. shine em up and shine them up again and again and again. the best fix i have read is clear nail polish but frankly its a bandaide only. what year is your bike . maybe this is under warrenty - mine is not but other posts suggest this is a recurring problem.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
the really crappy part of rust on the rims is the freakin pits that are causing the rust. yup meeee toooo and i have been on a number of forums and well - sucks to be us. there is no cure. shine em up and shine them up again and again and again. the best fix i have read is clear nail polish but frankly its a bandaide only. what year is your bike . maybe this is under warrenty - mine is not but other posts suggest this is a recurring problem.
I've used an SOS on other chrome items and it has done the job fairly well. My wheels are still okay at 2 1/2 years out. I clean with bike detailer and use the Autosol chrome polish and I do it often. I also keep mine in a garage in our harsh Wisconsin winters (no global warming here) which I believe helps. And I seem to have convinced myself that the mag wheels on the new SE actually look pretty good, if worse comes to worse.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Autosol chrome polish is the best available anywhere. Use it with a toothbrush then wash off the residue with warm, soapy water.

Be careful with scouring pads, there are a large variety out there, and some will scuff chrome.

Been a solid fan of Autosol for donkeys years, but although it's grand for casings, I've found it to be a bit abrasive on chrome rims, so instead I would use a good quality LIQUID Chrome Polish instead - it'll still lift the rust with enough elbow grease!

BTW - I've spotted bits of rust on the front rim on my year old efi Bonnie :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a 01 Bonnie as i said it was not looked arfter very well...i am going to have to get a paint job done on it engin tank the lot...going to have the tank and fenders done black...with the checkerd flag running down the middle of the tank..
Well i will have to polish the weels a lot a keep it clean...oh the rims are made in Italy....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts