Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I stopped in to that Dealer and must say I was not impressed as well. I ordered asked for 2 oil filters 1 for my 1999 Legend and 1 for my 2000 Sprint RS. Not knowing what exactly I needed since I had just purchased both bikes and it was my first oil change I took both filters home. Needless to say both bikes take different filters. They sold me 2 screw on filters, which the legend takes a internal cartridge type filter. Now if I lived near the place this wouldn't have been so bad. But I only work in Bedford Heights and live in Pittsburgh so I had to get one in the middle of an oil change from Advance auto parts.
Don't buy expensive oil filters from the dealer. There's plenty of info in the forum threads on substitute filters at good prices. Especially in the Sprint forum.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Tanks need to be kept full to avoid corrosion.
Our '95 Honda tank looks like new and the '76 Bonne is pretty good too. Both are always topped off after every use and especially through off season storage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this is a helpful group so I would love to hear some different opinions on what the heck I should do with my 99' Legend.

I have been dealing with rust in the gas tank for the past 2 years now and I have 2 issues I need help with.

1. I need to clean the rust flakes out of the jets and don't really know where to start. Can I get the jets out and put back on without having to rib the whole carb assembly out of the bike? How?

2. What should I do about this take. Clean and seal or get a new one? Can anyone recommend a good method of cleaning and sealing? Do Thunderbird tanks fit on the Legend bikes?

Sorry for all the questions but I really do appreciate any help.
Did you do any mods to your exhaust? If so I would like to hear them. I work near cuyahoga falls. Let me know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No significant mods yet. No that I have her running I would like to start tinkering with the air filters and exhaust. I also want to let at doing somehting different with the back fender. Right now I am just happy to be riding though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in the same boat. Looking at other options for exhaust but would like to hear anything someone else has done first would be cool.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rusty tank

I've been dealing with the same issue. I used vinegar to clean out the rust from the tank, and could not believe the crap that I got out of there. I still need to finish up today, more rinsing out the tank till all of the rust is out. Regarding the carbs, let me say I have a finger screen on the petcock, an in line filter and the duckbill filter. It's beyond me but I still had a lot of rust in the carbs. They were bought used and I did go through them but didn't take out the emulsion tubes before. This time I did and oh my. They was so much rust in those.. Today I'll get it all back together and see how it runs. Not sure about sealing inside the tank. I plan on new inline filter and will try to find some clear fuel hose.
I also put in a stage 2 kit before re assembling the carbs

·
Registered
184 Posts
+1 on the Caswell ssevy.
Followed your article while sealing mine and I feel confident that rust or corrosion in the tank is something I won't have worry about.
Had a little extra and allowed it to set up in a small bowl.
Great hard clear epoxy coating.
Thorough and helpful write-up!

Cheers

Dan

21 - 28 of 28 Posts