Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know my endless search for relief from the Tiger seat as noted with recent posting.

Brooks who lives near me (also posts to this site) offered me the use of his Russell Day Long for a test ride. Am sure many have read his comments on the RDL seat.

******First impression********.

Well my feet won't touch the ground unless I slide forward all the way than the balls of my feet reach. Can put one foot flat if I lean a bit. Seat was on lowest setting. I normally ride with seat on highest setting on stock.

As I backed out of the drive, that was exciting, first thought was holy **** i'm i going to dump this thing. Note to self, be careful where you park with this seat installed.

Got it going and felt like I was sitting on a box up in the air. First stop sign was an adventure.

******During the ride******

Once we got going and I settled in it was not bad, actually quite good.

Settled into the "lazy boy" pretty well. Was a little nervous on first sweeping curve since I still felt I was sitting "high" but had no issues.

Road about 40 miles to get good feel for seat. Only problem I really had was toward the end. My rear end felt so good I forgot to downshift at a stop sign. A Tiger does not go from 0 to 1 mph in 6th gear. Stalled the bike. Fired it back up, stalled again before realizing the problem. Good thing no traffic. How I avoided dumping the bike I don't know, guess god does watch out for fools. Done some dumb things but never that one before.

*****Final impression*****

Good points

Yes I think you could ride this seat all day long without problems. Was like sitting in a lazy boy, just needed a cold drink and tv remote.

Brings your feet up so it's like installing lower pegs. Am almost 6' 2" so that was a nice change in leg position.

Bad Points

Height of seat. Brooks is set up for 32" inseam. I have a 34" inseam. Problem noted above.
(once I got used to the seat I made slide forward adjustment really without thinking. Do have some concerns about riding two up with sitting so high. Know it will drop down with extra weight so may be able to flat foot with wife on board, which would make it a non-issue. Probably even better with wife and fulled laden with side bags loaded)

Since I was sitting higher and the seat I think leans you back some, I had to lean further forward. The result was it pulled the muscles of my upper back causing discomfort. Could probably correct with risers.

Thinking I might order a set of Rox risers anyway to see if helps relieve back issues with stock seat.

Final word

Think I have been seduced by the Russell Day Long.

-----

Going to call Russell today and talk with them further about seat and issues I had. Don't know if seat setup for me with longer inseam will make a difference or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
day long seat

I know that Russell has you send pictures of yourself on your bike from different positions. When they make your seat they make sure that the kinds of problems, you experienced, do not happen.
From all the people I know that have had them remake their seats all have been very happy with them.
MR. Pete--->

·
Registered
449 Posts
Use to have a Russell on a BMW touring bike and loved it. We talked to them about a seat for the wives ride and were told it would be a minimum of a half an inch taller than stock. Won't work for us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking for the same seat relief. I guess I'm concerned a bit about the look of the Russell on the Tiger. I was seriously considering their Sport model. Talked to someone at Russell who had one and it sounds about 80% as comfortable as the standard model. Anybody familiar with it or tried it? Also I guess it's 80% of the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ugly yes...

My friend has one of the day long seats on his bmw gt. Not streamlined...but VERY VERY comfortable. So I guess, like most things, it is a trade off. If you do a lot of biking and want to be comfortable...this is the seat for you.
I am going to get one for my 800 gs bmw. It will look odd...but my skin-over-bone butt will love me for it!!
Mr. Pete--->

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm on my second Russell Day Long now and I can't say enough good about them. I am fortunate that I live just 50 miles away and I can ride in and let them size me up in their shop. However, both my seats are not on a Tiger, one was on a Rocket III and my current is on a Harley Ultra. I am in the process of buying another Tiger (pre 07) and I will consider getting another Russell for it.
It is surprising that someone tried out another's custom seat and liked it, being they are custom fitted to each individual's bottom end. Some of my Harley friends have sat on mine and didn't like it, but I remind them that it was made for my skinny little arse and that one made for them would be quite different. That said, I don't think you can buy a better seat anywhere.

MikeB
Burney, CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts