Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking into buying a used 2008 street triple, as a rebuild project since it has been down. I have not gone out to see it yet but I know the instrument panel is missing. Is this bike able to run/start without the panel, and is there any other common problems you would suggest I look into? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Is this bike able to run/start without the panel
No, sorry. The ECM communicates with the panel by CANbus, and if it doesn't get a handshake response from the panel, it is not supposed to start.

(I believe this is at least in part because the odometer receives the data it needs for recording mileage electronically from the ECM, not from any sensors directly.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Ok if thats the case, is that instrument panel able to be replaced by simply finding a new one and plugging it in? Or will there be compatibility issues with the rest of the bike that will keep me from replacing the panel, or that would make it dealer work?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi, I am looking into buying a used 2008 street triple, as a rebuild project since it has been down. I have not gone out to see it yet but I know the instrument panel is missing. Is this bike able to run/start without the panel, and is there any other common problems you would suggest I look into? Thanks.
I know where that bike is. I checked on the price of a new panel from my local dealer and it runs about $950 new. I won't say out loud where it is just in case no one else knows about it, but it's in Ohio isn't it? I live in Idaho and won't be getting to Ohio anytime soon. Good luck with that, it looks like it is in pretty good shape.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Where's the beef?

Well, remember: if it's the same bike we all seem to think it is, another $1000 on top of that is not a bad price for a Street Triple! (Providing it doesn't have some other hidden problem, of course.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
well i hope there is no hidden problems.. i just purchased the bike and the instrument panel. should know if there is anything else wrong once that part comes in :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
well i hope there is no hidden problems.. i just purchased the bike and the instrument panel. should know if there is anything else wrong once that part comes in :)
So if you don't mind me asking, did you get it at Racers Edge in Cincinnatti? If not, last I checked they had one for $3500 and was just missing the display. I didn't even see much road rash on it. Rippin' deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah its in good shape! im waiting for the parts to come in the mail and then ill go pick it up, but thats the bike and im endin up paying 3700 after tax and about 900 for the gauges. pretty good deal i think! ill have pictures posted once its in my hands! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts